Help with Luke 20:35

by frigginconfused 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

I looked this up in older posts but I still dont get it. It seems to be referring to those resurected on earth because of its context with the Sadduccees. But It doesnt make for a paradise anyone would wat to live in. I dont doubt God I doubt our understanding. Because I wasnt there when Jesus said it I dont have the tone and inflection in his voice. Its hard to understand this. The older posts are long winded and I cant follow. In a simple way can anyone explain how this could play out without being a problem?

27 However, some of the Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came up and questioned him, 28 saying: “Teacher, Moses wrote us, ‘If a man’s brother dies having a wife, but this one remained childless, his brother should take the wife and raise up offspring from her for his brother.’ 29 Accordingly there were seven brothers; and the first took a wife and died childless. 30 So the second, 31 and the third took her. Likewise even the seven: they did not leave children behind, but died off. 32 Lastly, the woman also died. 33 Consequently, in the resurrection, of which one of them does she become [the] wife? For the seven got her as wife.”

34 Jesus said to them: “The children of this system of things marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 In fact, neither can they die anymore, for they are like the angels, and they are God’s children by being children of the resurrection

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome frigginconfused!

It seems to be referring to those resurected on earth because of its context with the Sadduccees.

Just remember, there is one hope, not two!

Ephesians 4:4-6 (New International Version)

4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Its hard to understand this.

You need to ditch the NWT. It is plain hard to understand the poor English (let alone the huge amounts of mistranslation it contains).

The WT like it that way. It supports their view that no-one can understand the bible without their "help".

Plenty of great bibles for free here http://www.biblegateway.com/

Get a new tutor too :)

John 14:26 (New International Version)

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:13 (New International Version)

13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (New International Version)

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Blessings, Stephen

• yknot
    yknot

Well the WTS of course presents this as a first resurrection issue.......ie the anointed.

As I sit here trying to work through my JW indoctrination......but I don't see the point. Is there a predestined number allowance? Is this for the 'millennial reign' or forever? Why not just create that in the first place..... a race of people like angels. If that state was so great why did some of them choose to fall for sex with earthly women....... (oh that is whole different JW issue too, angels always show up as MEN!)

It would be sooooo much better if we were allowed to keep sexing having kiddos (babies are wonderful, motherhood is wonderful!) and cultivate other planets for colonization.......

And than there is the question of what if Adam hadn't ate the fruit? How does he make that jump without effing up?

My head hurts now.....

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

yknot. good post. i think you see the importance of using pure logic infused with love. i really would like to work with this idea more.

• Chalam
    Chalam

The false belief system the WT have built needs to be totally demolished and rebuilt.

1 Corinthians 3:11 (New International Version)

11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:5-8 (New International Version)

5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:
    "See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
    and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame." 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
    "The stone the builders rejected
    has become the capstone," 8 and,
    "A stone that causes men to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

Matthew 7:24-27 (New International Version)

The Wise and Foolish Builders
    24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Blessings, Stephen

• designs
    designs

Still trying to suck people in Stephen, your belief system is even worse, but you know all of that, you just haven't come to grips with it yet.

The Trinity god in the burnt Tortilla or in the Rice Crispy's.................. what a Cult

......but you can break free, we did

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Accepting other people's explanations for stuff that doesn't seem to make sense really doesn't make sense. That's how we got into the JW mess in the first place.

I suggest you look up 'cult hopping' and 'mind control' and learn how cults operate before you start studying any religious 'explanations' or you may end up making the same mistakes over again.

We had a poster here years ago, who was shunned by three different religious groups in his town and he was now a member of another one.

Take care.

Chris

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Designs is an athiest troll.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Available Translations and Versions for Luke 20:35

KJV - Luk 20:35 -But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

© Info : - King James Version 1769 Info

NKJV - Luk 20:35 -But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

© Info : - New King James Version © 1982 Thomas Nelson

NLT - Luk 20:35 -But that is not the way it will be in the age to come. For those worthy of being raised from the dead won't be married then.

© Info : - New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

NIV - Luk 20:35 -But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,

© Info : - The Holy Bible, New International Version© 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society

ESV - Luk 20:35 -“but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage,

© Info : - English Standard Version © 2001 Crossway Bibles

RVR - Luk 20:35 -mas los que fueren tenidos por dignos de alcanzar aquel siglo y la resurrección de entre los muertos, ni se casan, ni se dan en casamiento.

© Info : - Reina-Valera © 1960 Sociedades Bíblicas en América Latina

NASB - Luk 20:35 -but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

© Info : - New American Standard Bible © 1995 Lockman Foundation

RSV - Luk 20:35 -but those who are accounted worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage,

© Info : - Revised Standard Version © 1947, 1952.

ASV - Luk 20:35 -but they that are accounted worthy to attain to that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

© Info : - American Standard Version 1901 Info

YNG - Luk 20:35 -but those accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the rising again that is out of the dead, neither marry, nor are they given in marriage;

© Info : - Robert Young Literal Translation 1862, 1887, 1898 Info

DBY - Luk 20:35 -but they who are counted worthy to have part in that world, and the resurrection from among [the] dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

© Info : - J.N.Darby Translation 1890 Info

WEB - Luk 20:35 -But they who shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage.

© Info : - Noah Webster Version 1833 Info

HNV - Luk 20:35 -But those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage.
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

In a more complete context:

The Question about the Resurrection

(Mt 22:23–33; Mk 12:18–27)

27 Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to him 28 and asked him a question, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no children, the man b shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. 29 Now there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; 30 then the second 31 and the third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. 32 Finally the woman also died. 33 In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had married her.”

34 Jesus said to them, “Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; 35 but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection. 37 And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. 38 Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.” 39 Then some of the scribes answered, “Teacher, you have spoken well.” 40 For they no longer dared to ask him another question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit