Dream Theater

by cellomould 5 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

Do you think the band should have recalled this album cover?:

The label said the cover art, which also includes a "big apple" wrapped in barbed wire, was completed months before the disc's release Tuesday. "The timing of the release of the CD happening on the very same day as the tragedy is a regrettable coincidence," the label said in a statement. "The Elektra Entertainment Group and Dream Theater apologize for any offense."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1448882/20010914/story.jhtml?headlines=true

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• cellomould
    cellomould

by the way how can this be an offense? Premeditated? hardly

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Helen
    Helen

not premediatated to be sure..but if it wasn't recalled I think it might be in poor taste..IMO

• Seven
    Seven

Cello, I agree the cover art was hardly premditated. Being a huge fan of Dream Theater I am somewhat biased. No it should not be recalled. Both Electra and the band acknowledged the unfortunate coincidence.

Spiderman the movie however recalled posters, trailers, and reshot scenes showing the Twin Towers. Here's one trailer with the WTC reflected in Spidey's eyes-collector's items now.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

A tragedy doesn't make history moot; those buildings and the people that died in them did exist, and now they're gone. Pretending they never existed makes it worse, I think.

Keep the cover. I'm not offended by them. And, why change spiderman?

• cellomould
    cellomould

Wow what a cool pic, Seven!
    Thanks.

It's funny how many things we don't notice. I don't think anyone would have noticed that ever if they weren't looking for it. Well, perhaps. But they wouldn't have cared.

It's good to be courteous, but ascribing TOO much significance to things like this is not good.

For example, 41,717 people died in the US in 2000 in car accidents. That kind of information doesn't make headlines often. But the significance of this figure would increase drastically if someone famous were to die tomorrow in a car accident. Let's say, Barbara Walters. (that is not a prophecy, hopefully)

You would hear comments like 'It's of extreme importance to improve highway safety!'

True, yes, but it's not MORE important than it was yesterday.

One other point is that 'honoring' the dead is really something we do for ourselves, to ease our collective conscience. What we call 'honor' could be considered sacrilige in Bangladesh, for example. Does it matter to the dead how they died, or whether anyone brought them flowers?

I'd like some flowers while I'm still alive

cellomould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit