Proverbs 3:6 – Logically Impossible to Follow as a Jehovah's Witness

by sabastious 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

Proverbs 3:6 – Logically Impossible to Follow as a Jehovah’s Witness

“Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding”

How does one “trust in Jehovah with all his heart” in the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Witnesses will often become aggressively defensive when accused of following their leaders, The Faithful and Discreet Slave, blindly.

The scripture above REQUIRES the members to blindly follow the Governing Body.

The Watchtower doctrine has no clear line between what and how Jehovah wants of you and what the Watchtower teaches.

If what the Watchtower taught only went through minor revisions since it’s inception, then it would be logical to call their ideas, Jehovah’s and the Watchtower’s, close enough to say that by trusting in the Watchtower you are trusting in Jehovah.

Yet this is not the case. The Watchtower has changed CORE doctrine many times since it’s inception. This means that what they were calling “Bible Truth” and “what God requires of you” have been ever changing for over 100 years.

Therefore every member is forced to make a logical distinction between the Watchtower and the God they worship.

The fact that this logical distinction exists invalidates any claim of absolute authority that the leaders try to enforce.

The absolute authority, according to the Bible, is Jehovah. And given the Governing Body’s track record they cannot be followed to a tee and personal understanding must come into play to make an informed decision about matters of the faith.

The April 1 st 1986 Question From Readers states this:

Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

…That there is a “faithful and discreet slave” upon earth today ‘entrusted with all of Jesus’ earthly interests,’ which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses…

Notice the bolding on my part. Being ‘entrusted with ALL of Jesus’ earthly interests’ means they Jesus has given them absolute authority.

As a Jehovah’s Witness you are highly encouraged to cut off anyone who does not fully comply with this arrangement… that is how serious they take their authority.

That being said, how is it possible for a Jehovah’s Witness NOT to lean on understanding outside of the Faithful and Discreet Slave when what they are currently teaching could be not in their best spiritual interests?

As Witnesses consistently repeat, you cannot slave for two masters. The reason being that at one point the two master’s commands are going to clash.

Jehovah’s commands of the Bible and Faithful and Discreet Slave’s commands have clashed for over a century now and yet, somehow, the Governing Body still has the audacity to claim things like this in the Watchtower November 15 th 2009 Article entitled: Treasure Your Place in the Organization:

…By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. (Num. 16:1-3) On the contrary, we should cherish our privilege to cooperate with the slave class…

Do they deserve such respect? So much respect that you would not even utter a challenge, ever, to what they have to say? Did ANY of God’s representatives receive such positions requiring such unquestioning loyalty?

Now back to the main point. How does a Jehovah’s Witness reconcile these audacious commands from the Governing Body? How do they follow Proverbs 3:6 in this regard? How far are they willing to go and keep saying “I will trust in Jehovah, and that means trusting the Faithful and Discreet Slave.”?

This is a hard mental state to be in and is a classic Catch 22. Do you lean on your own understanding and break the Code of The Governing Body, or do you follow your gut, and further educate yourself about other inconsistancies in the Watchtower Organization.

I feel you owe it to yourself to know everything about a Organization before you devote, or continue to devote, the rest of your life to it.

-Sab

• not a captive
    not a captive

Sab,

Proverbs 3:6 absolutely does not require us to follow the FDS --blindly or otherwise. It is only that they teach "new ones" from the first that God and the FDS are essentially the same thing.

They are not God, they are not Jesus. They prevent any anointed Christians who even do buy this story from obeying the Christ. Rev. 14:4 says the anointed "follow the Lamb wherever he goes". But according to the WT these anointed who are not serving as the Governing body, the FDS, they are required to follow --not the Lamb--but the FDS. Even if they do not agree with the teaching.

Is this following the Christ? Is this trusting Jehovah?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Proverbs 3:6 absolutely does not require us to follow the FDS --blindly or otherwise

That's exactly my point. The scripture requires that you follow Jehovah blindly.

Althought the Governing Body admit they are not God nor Jesus, they do demand unquestioning loyalty. Therefore, their is no distinctive line between the Faithful and Discreet Slave's commandments and the ones of God or Jesus.

They consistantly point to this scripture as means to solidfy their position. "Do not lean upon your own understanding" they say. "Read the understanding we have brewed up" - the catch 22 happens when the say something that you KNOW is wrong and that you KNOW most likely will be changed eventually.

Do you follow it? God appointed the FDS over ALL Jesus' belongings.

-Sab

• alfmel
    alfmel

Let me take a little tangent

The Catholic tradition in this regard is rather interesting. They believe Jesus gave Peter the keys of the kingdom, meaning the authority to act in his name. It seems the Faithful and Discrete Slave follows that tradition. Looking back, it seems Moses was seen as such a figure, where anything he said was considered to be the Word of Jehovah. Later, the Jews at the time of Jesus considered many of the words of the prophets to be the words of Jehovah. As far as I know, Catholics consider the words of the Pope to be the words of God. (According to the Catholic tradition, the Pope continues to hold the same keys to the ministry given to Peter by Jesus.) Mormons have a similar belief that their prophet speaks in the name of God. The 7th Day Adventists also have such a tradition with Ellen White.

What's interesting to me is that most denominations who claim to have the guidance of a person appointed by God to speak in his name make it very public who that person is. Even if they have a body of people to act as the head of their church, who they are is public knowledge. The JWs appear to be the only major denomination who are not public about who the leaders are. I wonder why? No, really, I wonder why that is. I'm not suggesting they have something to hide, although they are hiding it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

This whole concept of 'leaning on your own understanding' was thrown in my face when I asked my wife if she and I could simple study the Bible without any aids, hers or mine. Actually, I was simply interesting in reading it alone and I was told, "You're leaning on your own understanding."

I've later come to realize that whenever anyone says anything in regards to 'do not lean on your own understanding,' the unspoken statement that goes along with it is 'you need to be leaning on my understanding instead.' If not their's, then at least their teacher's. All religions do this to a greater or lesser extent.

It's a tragic consequence of religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit