Did anyone see the History Channel episode on the Witches Hammer?

by JWoods 8 Replies latest social current

• JWoods
    JWoods

This was a late medieval book printed not long after the Gutenberg process became available. It is a treatise on how to discover, question by torture, and execute witches.

It is thought that several thousand were printed over the years (maybe second only to the bible in distribution in its day) - and that this was in large part responsible for the witch hunts in Europe. The final example here in the Americas - the Salem witch trials.

It made me think about the JW propensity (and secret love of) all things "demonic". A second similarity was that this book took a rather perverse and restrictive rulemaking position on human sexuality...sound familiar, ex JWs? Another similarity was that the fear of witchcraft was almost exclusively directed toward women - especially on women who were smart or outspoken...sound familiar, ex JWs?

It also made me wonder if the JW theology could ever give up the "mystic demonism" aspects of the religion - the possibility that old books or furniture could contain demons...that demons visit "weak sisters" for sex episodes in the night...that even kids toys can have demonic influence. I think they are as addicted to this kind of dark ages mysticism as they are to the name of their God, the time of the end prophecy, or anything else.

I think the JW religion is addicted to this superstition - in a modern age where even the Catholic Church has pretty much rid itself of such things.

• designs
    designs

At least the Catholic church has a group that investigates supernatural phenom............................Hey that face on the Tortilla isn't really Mary!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    At least the Catholic church has a group that investigates supernatural phenom............................Hey that face on the Tortilla isn't really Mary!

Exactly the point - even though the Catholics still hold onto a sort of mysticism (miracles are an example) - their modern view is that most of this is misunderstanding, mental illness, or just plain nonsense. Seldom do they rush forward to hold exorcisms or hunt vampires, for example. Protestants in the mainstream have long ago given up this sort of stuff - I have not heard of Mormons making any big deal of demons either. Leaving probably the JWs and the Scientologists (Xenu and the thetans) as the only true purveyors of "demonism" in modern religion.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

hmm...sounds interesting. I will need to see if I can watch that online. Currently I am in love with How the Earth Was Made....I never thought geology could be so exciting.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    hmm...sounds interesting. I will need to see if I can watch that online. Currently I am in love with How the Earth Was Made....I never thought geology could be so exciting.

The How the Earth Was Made series is also excellent. If anything could make the JW literalists (flood, short time creation, etc.) take notice, this would be it. They also had an excellent discussion of the Roman cross as an execution device which should be educational to the JWs. I think History has an online source - but they do repeat their programming pretty often on the cable as well.

• undercover
    undercover

Not to hijack the thread hopefully but the How the Earth Was Made comment reminded me that I watched part of a documentary (they called it a documentary) on Noah's ark on Discovery or NatGeo (can't remember which) and I was so disappointed.

They left it open ended so as to not belittle anyone's faith or beliefs that the Ark may have existed. It was an hour of "what may have happened" with evidences against the possibility of a global flood or water canopies or a boat strong enough to withstand the forces and a year at set, but then the last few minutes was how it still had importance as a symbol of faith. WTF Is this a documentary or a Tennessee High School production?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    They left it open ended so as to not belittle anyone's faith or beliefs that the Ark may have existed. It was an hour of "what may have happened" with evidences against the possibility of a global flood or water canopies or a boat strong enough to withstand the forces and a year at set, but then the last few minutes was how it still had importance as a symbol of faith. WTF Is this a documentary or a Tennessee High School production?

I saw that too and it was extemely weak-minded. It did at least make a pretty good point about how impossible it would have been for that ancient civilization to have created what would have been the worlds largest wooden seaworthy vessel.

But all in all - we have a worldwide flood debunking thread here about once a month or so that provides more and better information.

• glenster
  • notverylikely
    notverylikely

The How the Earth Was Made series is also excellent. If anything could make the JW literalists (flood, short time creation, etc.) take notice, this would be it.

No, no it wouldn't. They just say "the ice age happened, but all the water came from the flood. of course there were whales in the sahara because of the flood. of course the continents used to be a single giant continent, the flood pushed them apart..." or they just say how science doesn't know everything and changes the meaning of the word generation all the time, er, story, science changes their story.

I know this from experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit