What are the chances...

by Strider Arekksu 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Strider Arekksu
    Strider Arekksu

Talked to some elders about my doubts, actually confimation that the WTS Bible logic was extremely flawed. Wanted me to think it over, but I said I was admant about what I felt and would be crazy to deny it. It's been about a month sense I last went... due to more important things in my life, however, my dad is being an idiot and wants to still go to determine if they are true or not even though I already gave him enough proof that they are a joke, he keeps using the excuse of "if they teach the people good habits it can't be all bad." But he doesn't understand that if they use lies to get to that fake outcome, there is no point.

Basically, if I go back with them, what are the chances that the congregation will be afraid of me? Why the hell would I want to sit in a room for two hours listening to a lie and everyone is afraid of me?

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

One person summed it up this way for me a few weeks ago:

"if you don't want to be disfellowshipped, then don't go back to the kingdom hall and surely not to any meetings. If you want to be disfellowshipped, then go meet with the elders."

For most people, this seems to hold true.

• yknot
    yknot

How about showing him some WT quotes on his CD.....

If you have the CD you should take a look a WT articles:

March 1, 1966 pg 133 "Should Falsehood and Corruption Be Exposed?

January 15, 1974 pg 35 "Can You Be True to God, Yet Hide the Facts?

Then there is always that nice little gem from 58'

*** w58 8/1 p. 460 Dawns a New Era for the Irish ***
    Fear has a great hold on the people. People are afraid of what their neighbors, their friends, relatives and clergy might think if they were even so much as to read the Bible on their own. For centuries the clergy have dominated their lives, told them what they can read, what they should believe and do. To ask a sound religious question is a demonstration of lack of faith in God and the church, according to the clergy. As a result, the Irish people do very little independent thinking. They are victims of the clergy and fear; but freedom is in sight.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    "if they teach the people good habits it can't be all bad."

Using that logic drags the Watchtower down to the same level as any religion that teaches people good habits. Is that what your father wants to do?

They have a host of 'proofs' like this. Never let them get away with them. Point out that other religions can legitimately make the same claims. If you can name some fitting the 'proof' go for it. e.g. "Good works"=Salvation Army, Mother Teresa etc.. "Spirit directed" = ask what religion doesn't claim to be spirit directed? Does a Catholic claiming the Pope is spirit directed make it true? How is a Jay Dub making the claim any different? "Preaching work" = radio and TV has heaps of religious programming, why doesn't the WT? The Mormons go door knocking, does that prove they are as good as the Watchtower?

"They believe the Trinity" = They believe in god as portrayed by their religious leaders, as your Dubby does. Adherance to any particular doctrine is meaningless as proof without first establishing whether, or not, those leaders that provided the doctrine are truly spirit directed. Did Holy Spirit direct the WT to teach that the Generation that saw 1914 was only one generation, when 'the truth' was that it was two overlapping generations?

The truth is that the only reason JWs are special to you is because it just happens to be the cult that you had the misfortune to be born into. Someone else's kid has been born to a towel head, does that mean it is OK for him to blow up a bus?

The idea is not for you to tell them that the WT isn't special, but to ask the right questions to get them to tell you that it is not special, or that their 'proof' was faulty.

Cheers

Chris

• not a captive
    not a captive

Ynot and Black Sheep and Mental have it right. Feeling as you do, if you go to meetings it will make you have to do something. It will make you ill to sit and just take it and take it.

The bit about the Irish is perfect.--"Come to thoughtfreedom with the WTS"

Good advise, Chris . I'm talking to a JW today and I will try to have her tell me how God and I benefit from lies in the name of unified worship.

Hang on to your conscience, Strider. Don't let them cage it. That is the main thing. You are fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit