A JW wants to "friend me" on Facebook

by darthfader 9 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

My Wife and I have been quietly going about our fade for about 10 years. Now I'm getting old JW friend requests on facebook. I used to be pretty close with them, but havent done anything with them for years. My concern is that they will "wiggle" their way back into our life in a way that will give the Elders some rope to hang us... I have ignored several requests, but I keep getting more. I wonder if there is some "cooperation" between them to reconnect with us "lost ones"...

What do y'all think? Am I being paranoid, or not? --- thanks

Darth Fader

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Click 'Ignore' and forget about it.

• flipper
    flipper

DARTHFADER- No, I don't think you're being paranoid- you're being smart. I have heard of several fading witnesses who have been outed using Facebook as someone who becomes your friend can see what all your discussions are. One BIG reason- I'm not on Facebook. But my non-witness wife is with a different last name. I have too many younger JW relatives ( my daughters included ) who might use Facebook to see what I'm up to and who is communicating with me. I've been out over 6 years - but I DON'T want to get back on the elders radar as I'm still associating with my 85 and 83 yr.old JW parents.

If you have JW relatives you want to stay connected to without incident- I would NOT trust ANY JW people wanting to be yor friend on Facebook. If you do NOT have any JW relatives you still talk to- and aren't worried about any other JW friends or repercussions- by all means go ahead and befriend them. Just make sure they aren't the type who want to give your Facebook account info to elders or your address. But, no- you are being a realist, not paranoid. Just be careful ! Due warning given. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• nugget
    nugget

My facebook is now so incriminating I can't afford to have any witness friends. Don't do it. If they were friends they will call and visit.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Its all part of the ploy. The ploy to re-activate all of the faders so they can fatten up there numbers. Don't do it!

• undercover
    undercover

I find this Facebook thing fascinating...

...though not enough to actually join...yet

anyhoo...one thing that gets me is that the WTS is scared shitless of this social networking program. Like it is the devil incarnate or sumthin...

And then I read all these experiences of people who get 'friend' requests from old dub acquaintances and wonder what to do. What's there to do? Either 'friend' them or don't. You don't want JWs in your life, don't accept them. If you don't mind them being linked to your page, then friend them.

But then nugget says their Facebook is too incriminating. How is that? Have you clicked to be a fan of the Church of Satan or something? Does JWN have a "be a fan of Facebook" button?

I've not joined as of yet because I really don't care to hear all about someone's bad day at work or someone's good day at the park or see pictures of Fluffy chasing a mouse or Junior's first poopie.

Do other people really take this stuff so serious? If you're a fan of some heavy metal band...or R-rated movie...or anything a good little dubbie would avoid are elders going to pay you a visit? Is there a FB survelliance network in the congregations?

If you don't want others to know of your anti- or ex-JW life, don't use Facebook for those connections. That's why there are ex-JW sites...like this one.

I guess since I'm not a Facebooker, I don't get it but it seems to be a lot of to-do about not so much. I think Betty White was right about it when on SNL... a big waste of time. But since the WTS is preaching so hard against it and because it seems to have the abliity to send JWs into fits if they were to see my preferences and non-JW friends I might just have to take advantage of this sinister tool so as to inflict damage on such tender people...

• meangirl
    meangirl

Well here's another scenario, maybe they too have faded....I haven't been to meetings in 2 years and found someone recently on facebook from a congregation I was in as a teenager (I am now in my 30's) and we friended each other....we started instant messaging one night and I asked if she still goes to meetings and before she answered she asked if we did...I replied sometimes.....to which she replied no not really they don't go anymore....I think we both felt a sigh of relief over that one.....You might be surprised maybe they are faded too and looking for some support.....

• darthfader
    darthfader

An Update: I have "Ignored" them -- and what happens... a few days later, they show up at my place of business, asking how I am... thankfully I was not there to be "interrogated".

Im sure that some of my "old friends" are genuinely concerned about me and my family's wellbeing - but I can take the chance.

• carla
    carla

Your old friends are just now "genuinely concerned" after 10 yrs of a fade? are you kidding?! Sounds like great timing with the summer ass-emblies at hand.

• loosie
    loosie

well once you post your opinions on facebook, they may just unfriend you. I got unfriended because I posted the TV show ghost hunters as one of my likes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit