Chinese R allowed only one child. If it is female they have to abort it. What do JW's do?

by foolsparadise 6 Replies latest jw friends

• foolsparadise
    foolsparadise

I have always wondered what Jws do if they get pregnant with a girl. Do they abort the fetus like the government tells them to do? Or does the society forbid married couples in China to have sex? Seems like an untouched taboo topic here in the USA and no one wants to discuss it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It isn't discussed in the USA because it isn't true.

Where do all the Chinese women come from if they're aborted?

This policy, if it ever existed, is no longer in existence, or there are ways to get waivers to have female children. Otherwise there would be no young females in the country.

Also, there are no JWs in China of any significant number.

• tec
    tec

First - It is my understanding that certain couples in China choose to abort a female fetus because they want their one child to be male.

Second - they can and do have more than one child, but they lose all the incentives and bonuses that come with having only one child, hence they may choose to abort a female fetus.

So its not really an issue of what is governmentally mandated.

Tammy

• upnorth
    upnorth

China is stepping into a massive sausage fest as the one child policy catches up to it. Currently the ratios are 125 males to 100 females some area s are at 145 males to 100 females.

One link I found list the females as out numbered by 35 million

http://www.asiahealthcareblog.com/2010/02/25/sex-ratio-and-saving-in-china/

Animated Gifs

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Yep, all those chinese males will have to find brides elseware.

I wonder if, in a gereation or two, when native females are quite rare, they will begin to value women more.

• sir82
    sir82

If you applied more than 5 seconds of thought to your post, you'd realize that "having to abort all female fetuses" would result in China's population going from 1.2 billion to 0 in about 50 years.

Perhaps you meant to say something like "In Chinese culture, boys are more esteemed than girls, so many Chinese couples choose to abort female fetuses."

If 5 seconds of thought are too taxing, you could spend 2 seconds on Google and find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

It officially restricts the number of children married urban couples can have to one, although it allows exemptions for several cases, including rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without any siblings themselves. [ 2 ] A spokesperson of the Committee on the One-Child Policy has said that approximately 35.9% of China's population is currently subject to the one-child restriction. [ 3 ]

In any event, it's all moot because there aren't more than a few thousand JWs in China. And very few of them are likely to be married couples of child-bearing age.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It would be a complete disaster to abort all girls. You would end up having a country with nothing but men, and that is a most sickening situation (that I would rather die than find myself ushered into). On top of that, you would be sure there would be no more children--once they are all gone, the population goes down to zero.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit