'No "Bible Alone" ' quote

by bebu2 5 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu2
    bebu2

Hello folks,
    Please be nice to me. This is my first time to post anything.

Recently I read (on this site somewhere, I think) an amazing quotation from a more recent WT guy that spookily echoes the sentiment of Russell, so long ago, that reading the scriptures alone--without the books by WT--resulted in people falling from the truth!

If anyone knows where this quote is, etc., could you please give me the info? I deeply regret that I didn't copy it earlier.

:) Thanks!

• ISP
    ISP

Welcome to the board, bebu! Nice to have you here.

ISP

• cellomould
    cellomould

Well, they wouldn't have said it if it weren't true.

That's all I did; I simply read the bible. (Okay I read some outside stuff too, but nothing skeptical in particular) Thought it would encourage me when I really needed it.

Turns out that it did do what I needed, however. My concious mind just didn't know what help was REALLY coming, until it all came crashing down fast. Reading the bible weaned my from my spiritual dependence.

I understand human nature better than ever before, and I am not ashamed of what I found out.

Welcome bebu2!

Yes, indeed, everything you need to understand 'the truth' is right there in your bible! Human philosophy all of it!

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• bebu2
    bebu2

Thanks for the nice words.

Yes, I certainly agree with you about the Bible. To think that reading the Bible alone will lead you into heresy is *itself* heretical!

I am so encouraged to read from posts by ex JWs who have really found Christ. I'm discouraged to read so many posts by those who have left the organization, but have landed only in bitterness and anger.

This reminds me greatly of the warning Jesus gave about getting rid of an evil spirit, and then that spirit comes back to a clean home with 7 other worse spirits. In other words, if you don't replace your idol with Christ, you'll get another (often worse) idol.

(I suppose it's hard to imagine a worse idol than the one that the WT has set up, though, especially for people on this board.)

:)

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello Bebu2 and WELCOME to the board,

I think you are right on the money when you said:

"This reminds me greatly of the warning Jesus gave about getting rid of an evil spirit, and then that spirit comes back to a clean home with 7 other worse spirits. In other words, if you don't replace your idol with Christ, you'll get another (often worse) idol."

I guess many don't realize the spiritual implications of what Jesus and the scriptures are trying to teach.

Anyway, good to have you aboard. Take care.

CornerStone

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day and welcome aboard Bebu2, hope you enjoy your stay.

Please be sure to keep up what you started; perhaps you could let us know your JW background and what gave you your own Crisis of Conscience?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit