UK Election Breaking News: Ringo Won the Bingo

by Duncan 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

Well, I stayed up half the night watching the results come in.

Helpfully, the BBC website had published an Election Party Pack, with fun and games to keep the jaded viewers interested. One of the games was Election Night Bingo.

You know the kind of thing: Four bingo cards with studio-pundit type phrases on them, to keep you alert and check them off as they were used. "Keys to Number Ten" "Portillo Moment" "Three-Way Marginal" and so on and so on.

Couldn't get anyone else in the house interested in playing. So, saddo that I am, I sat in front of my tv set, playing all four myself.

I had to call them something, and just for a moment considered labelling the cards 1,2,3 and 4. But, on a whim, wrote John Paul George and Ringo instead.

Well, despite an early strong showing from Paul, the night ended up with a victory for Ringo.

This pleased me for two reasons:

First, it is a clear and decisive result, no recounts, no murky back-room deal to secure the winning spot.

Secondly, I was tickled by the sing-song appropriateness of my result. I hadn't even thought of it until just now when my son got up and asked who won the election.

"Nobody knows yet. But Ringo won the Bingo"

How we laughed.

• wobble
    wobble

I am too old to stay up unless it is something really good.

What this election has really highlighted is that we need Electoral Reform really urgently to get some form of democratic government.

Even if the Conservatives had (have?) secured a majority of seats, this would have been done on less than half the votes, with a different system many more people may feel it is worth voting, and at least we would get a government reflecting the views of the majority of voters, to a large extent.

The present system is outmoded, and should be scrapped.

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit