Number of bible students in 1914

by Truthexplorer 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Having read last weeks WT, I was a little stunned to say the least at the number of bible students in 1914. All this time, I had assumed there was probably in the region of a few hundred thousand worldwide at that time, particularly as they had been about since the 1870's.

Was anyone else stunned to discover there was only about '5100' in 1914

TE

• wobble
    wobble

The other interesting figure would be the one for 1919, when Jesus supposedly chose Rutherford, his henchmen and the Bible Students who remained with him after his grab of control of the WT.

I do not have that figure to hand, but think he could not have had more than say, 6 or 7 thousand by then ?

Does not the huge growth to 7 million since then prove the choosing by Jesus and that they are God's organization ?

Wobble (who asks with his tongue firmly in his cheek)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think in 1918 there were only 3800. The below link was some research i did a while ago on the numbers each 10 years.

all were sourced from their own litrature. We know a lot left when rutherford did his dirty takeover which would be why the figure had dropped.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/186440/1/Fun-with-numbers-or-the-Watchtower-running-out-of-steam-Statistics

oz

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This just reinforces to me the belief that this is an organization that thrives on heartache and disaster. I am willing to bet the group had great growth during the great depression, lax growth during the postwar economic boom, and then great growth again during the conflict in Vietnam.

They still use tragedy as a recruitment tool today. What a pathetic and sad group.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I am willing to bet the group had great growth during the great depression

It's the very reason the Society even has a "Jonadab"/"Great Crowd" class. Rutherford had been teaching since the late 1920s (when the number of Bible Students affiliated with him dropped precipitiously) that the number making up the anointed "remnant" would continue to decrease until Armageddon. So all the new people flocking to the movement were not part of the remnant; they had to belong to some other group that Rutherford had to invent.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

'I think in 1918 there were only 3800'.

Now that is what I call humble beginnings

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Must of been after the MASS exodus, from a few changes Russell did which broke off many. Then Rutherford himself caused many to break off as well. THEN when they were arrested and everything was shut down for a few years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit