The good that comes from voluntary work.

by chicken little 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• chicken little
  • chicken little
    chicken little

OOOps it disappeared before my eyes. Well I wanted to write about the good that comes from voluntary workers. I am in the Red Cross and work with women that have been beaten by their spouses. I get a magazine from Red Cross and I wanted to share a few figures with you all.

Did you realize that 98 million people work voluntarily with the Red Cross? Is that not an amazing figure? They give their time and energy in so many ways.

In this country there are people that sit with the dying if they have noone, people who visit the lonely, those that sit and knit for children in Africa. There are people that spend night shifts at shelters, nurse the homeless, work in catastrophe areas, at least 2000 were from the Red Cross in Haiti.

I am proud of my fellow mankind when I realize just how many try to give practical help out there. There are no strings attached a thank you is payment in itself.

Kind regards

Chicken little

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

My grandmother volunteered with the Red Cross in WW1. She looked very smart in her nurses uniform.

I volunteer, albeit with a local museum. I don’t save lives or anything, but it’s nice to do something for the community.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Any effort to help the community or neighbours is just great, so many people do this, they never expect any praise they just get on with it. I think back to the preaching work we did, we never acknowledged all of this voluntary work to be of any real value. We were told that only what were doing was of importance. My eyes have been opened to the amazing number of people that really try to make a difference, and do!

• man in black
    man in black

nice to hear your story, subjects like this thread really make me realize that all those years being taught that the world was "bad"

were completely wrong.

Congratulations on helping people through the red cross !

• looloo
    looloo

i was once "told off "when a pioneer saw my envelope for the red cross with some cash in waiting to be collected at my door , i hadnt realised it was "wrong " to give to starving children etc . one of the first things i did after i realised it was a cult was to set up a standing order to go out my account each month as a fingers up to the dubbies ! i buy a poppy for the same reason and hope to see a jw !

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Seeing the REAL love and care for people in traumatic situations in "the world" was a BIG factor in my realizing that the Borg lies pretty much all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit