Other Revelation Interpretations

by maputo95 6 Replies latest jw friends

• maputo95
    maputo95

Has anyone read other works intrepretating "Revelation" such as done by RC, baptist or Lutheran scholars and also by humanists. The mark of a cult, I feel, are restrictions put upon the membership to ONLY read their own literature. They also exalt their position which is usually: "Only we have the right interpretation because ONLY WE HAVE THE "TRUTH", consequently JWs will not read other interpretations of Scripture as they believe these to be "satanic". Pathetic.

Has anyone read "The Revelation of St John" by Ian Boxall in THE "Black's New Testament Commentary" series? Granted, it does not contain the gaudy, spine-chilling illustrations of "Revelation-It's Grand Climax at Hand!" nor the rather lovely Canadian Rockies pictures of Paradise but it does have some Greek quotes which I can't read yet. Give me a decade! Did the JW book referred to earlier drop down from heaven as it has no human authors cited! Did Jehovah himself pen this treatise and deliver it to Brooklyn from the great Beyond? The mystery deepens!!! The plot thickens!!!!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

If Boxall doesn't accept that the seven trumpet blasts were sounded at Cedar Point, Ohio then I refuse to consider anything else he has to say.

• maputo95
    maputo95

Jimmy- ROLF!!!!!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello maputo95,

Plenty of good stuff on Revelation here :)

http://mikebickle.org/resources/category/biblical-studies/revelation/

Blessings,

Stephen

• RR
    RR

I have dozens of commentaries on Revelation, by various denominations, even Catholic. The interpretations differ depending on the theological leanings, but NONE of them come close to Watchtower interpretations. Even the commentaries by Bible Students don't come close to their pompous attitude of "It's all about us."

RR

• maputo95
    maputo95

Stephen, thank you so much for your link which I am about to use with enthusiasm. Thank you RR for your comment and I am glad to see your open-mindedness, My Church now seems to teach that where's there's valid baptism and "trinity" in a denomination then that group is Christian and in salvation, praise!

• maputo95
    maputo95

Oh, incidentally, Oxford University don, Ian Boxall referred to above is Catholic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit