Have you read Diane Wilson's book "Awakening of Jehovah's Witness"?

by mentallyfree31 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I just finished "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness" by Diane Wilson today. Wow - what a story. It's heart-wrenching - the struggle she faced while trying to break free from WT. I was truly touched by her experience. Her book also contains an abundance of "hard facts" and direct quotes from JW publications that are solid proof. Her documentation of the matter of Rape is mind blowing. She documents in chronological order how WT has gone back and forth ridiculously on this subject numberous times.

Have you read this book? Did you enjoy it?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes, it was among the first dozen ex-JW books that I read. Highly recommended!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I read it and agree that she was groomed from birth to be a JW, because she sounded so weak, beat, and needy. Sorry, that's just how it seemed to me. Very good book, anyway.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

From the book, it sounds like she had an excellent therapist.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I enjoyed the first half of the book but I think she gets too technical with the WT doctrines. The conclusion also seems hurried, like she wanted to get the book finished before the publisher changed his mind!

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Ive got it sitting right now on my kitchen table and this is my second time reading it. I think its a brilliant book and all the WT quotes are great.....some Ive never seen before. I requested through my library and now it is there keeping company with '30 years a Watchtower Slave' and 'Im Perfect, you're Doomed'. Awaiting request for 'In Search of Christian Freeedom'.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

My mother read her book also. She throughly enjoyed it. And my father too. It was one of the first books they read as they were coming out. They highly recommend it also.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Yes! Iread it in 2002, when I was fading. The definition the society has put on "RAPE" back and forth is very telling in that they don't have an iota of what a woman or man go through when they are raped.

Those men should experience rape on the inside and then translate what it means to be raped.

I thought she did an excellant and dififcult report on her experience inside the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit