condemnation of a scientific apostate

by AIRVIEW1 5 Replies latest jw friends

• AIRVIEW1
    AIRVIEW1

"We say, pronounce, sentence and declare that you Galileo, by reason of these things which have been detailed in the trial and which you confessed already, have rendered yourself according to this Holy Office vehemently suspect of heresy (apostacy), namely that Sun is the centre of the world and does not move from east to west, and that one may hold and defend as probable an opinion after it has been declared and defined contrary to Holy Scripture."

Then Josuha spoke to Jehovah, the same day that Jehovah delivered the Amorites to the Israelites. Joshua exclaimed:

"Sun stand still over Gibeon,
    and , moon, you also, over the Vale of Aijalon
    And the sun stood still, and the moon haled,
    till the people had vengence on their enemies".

• belbab
    belbab

Airview,

I take it you want us to fill in the blanks.

Which is easier for God to do, to stop the earth's movements around the sun, or stop the movements in Joshua's head. The events of the battle moved so fast, that Joshua, was surprised at the time distortion, but that perception of time was only in his head.

A few days ago there was a post about how time dragged at the Kingdom Hall, compared with exciting activities when elsewhere. Same thing.

• Francois
    Francois

I seriously doubt that God violates his own laws. For any reason. Making the sun "stop" would be such a violation; a violation of His own laws of physics. For the sun to "stop," the earth would have to cease to rotate, thus there would be no gravity, people would be floating up and out of the atmosphere. Now we can't have that!

For God to violate his own laws, he would, in essence, in truth and in fact be guilty of a species of lie.

It just didn't happen.

Saw a program on the Learning Channel the other night. All about the really ancient Hebrews. Seems Yahweh had a wife. Yup. And apparently there was considerable ancient writings about it. The priests, as the religion evolved, attempted to expunge the records of this "wife" as their ideas about diety became more sophisticated. However, the archaeologists have found them out.

I have a fundy acquaintance who believes that since we were all made in God's image that He has fingers, toes, nose, hair. I asked her if he had a, um, penis. Of course, she said.

"What does he do with it," I asked, "Do you reckon he has to take a leak every now and again, and you also reckon he fucks with it?"

I didn't get an answer to that, since she went through the roof and was last seen streaking past Saturn. "Watch out for Uranus," I shouted, "It's likely to get pretty damn cold out there around Pluto."

God made the sun stand still. Right. And I'm the Virgin Mary.

Francois

• JanH
    JanH

Francois,

For the sun to "stop," the earth would have to cease to rotate, thus there would be no gravity, people would be floating up and out of the atmosphere.

This is untrue. In fact, the Earth rotation has nothing to do with gravity. If the Earth ceases to rotate, it would have some interesting effects, including a slight increase in perceived gravity on the surface if I am not much mistaken. It would surely wreak havoc on the planet's weather patterns. The actual halting would also be very dramatic, like sitting in a car that suddenly stops.

Just another old silly myth by people who didn't know much about how the universe works.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Francois,
    The bottom line is that you will believe any of the typical, oft-quoted assertions from Bible Bashers, the same ones who brought us the Jesus Seminar and who are in league with that Atheist 'Bishop Spong'. Yahweh had no 'wife', he was in no way the semitic godlet who dwelled with Ashtoreth. The Israelite prophets railed against the sacred poles (Ashtoreth) as FALSE god worship.
    Fundamentalism means 'taking a stand for the legitimate, orthodox interpretations of scripture and doctrine', something ex-dubs usually know nothing about (except the slander that momma taught them). JWs are in no way Christian fundamentalists for they do not even hold to Biblical doctrine.

Jan,
    What would the viewpoint of the average man tell him if God extended daylight by some suspension of natural laws?
    Given the creator's mastery over His creation, would not the suspension of natural laws be completely controlled?
    When you rule out the miraculous intervention of God how can you not have a biased viewpoint?
    Rex

• Francois
    Francois

Rex, I can tell you didn't see the program on the Learning Channel the other night. I'm afraid you're very, very, wrong. And just why would you think that the very same priests who Jesus called "whitewashed graves" would have been honest about this, or about all that happened in the Babylonian exile? Gulliblility is ugly.

Jan, I guess you're refering to the old M1(V1)=M2(V2). I thought of that, but it wasn't funny - so I went for the humor.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit