Clearing Up 1 Peter 4: 17

by Perry 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

- 1 Peter 4: 17

On my previous thread regarding false WT teachings, I reminded everyone of a scripture we all heard constantly (shown above). This of course was meant to keep us in line with WT directives because our salvation was on the line. According to WT doctrine, even the elect 144,000 do not receive salvation:

These, [the 144,000] as “the house of God,” have been under judgment during their Christian life course, beginning with the first of their number at Pentecost. (1Pe 4:17) …. his spiritual brothers.

These have been under judgment, so at Christ’s return it is time to give the reward to them, his faithful anointed ones, just as he promised his 11 faithful apostles on the eveningbefore his death: “I am going my way to prepare a place for you”.

– Insight Vol. 2 pg. 786

In that thread I introduced the doctrine of the Bema Seat (Judgment Seat of Christ) as different than the Great White Throne Judgment, and how it does not determine salvation for a believer:

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; - 1 Cor. 3: 13-15

However, although the WT is incorrect in teaching that the judgment in 1 Peter 4: 17 determines salvation, I believe that I was also in

error in applying the "house of God" in that scripture to Israel, specifically the generation that Jesus condemned that saw his miracles

and believed not.

Yes, The Watchtower teaching does violate many scriptures to the contrary of their view:

There is therefore now [notice present tense] no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus- Rom. 8: 1

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible [immortal], by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

- 1 Peter 1: 23

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law [with its judgment], but under grace. – Rom. 6: 14

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life [present tense] and will not be condemned;

he has crossed over from death to life." [notice the past tense] - John 5:24

"I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." - John 10:28

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he

is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

- Romans 8:9-10

Below are comments from a University Professor friend of mine that I think indicate that although the WT is certainly in error, the judgment here is in fact the Bema Seat and not the GWT judgment on the Israel "House of God" of that generation:

I Peter 4:15–19

Now, let no one of you continue to be suffering [reproach] as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a self-appointed overseer in

other men's matters. But if he suffer [reproach] as a Christian, let him not continue to be ashamed, but let him be glorifying God

because of this name, for the time is now, of the judgment beginning at the house of God. But if it start first with us, what

shall be the end of those who are not obeying the good news of God? And if he who is righteous is with difficulty being saved,

he that is impious and a sinner, where shall he appear? Therefore, also let those who are suffering according to the will of God be

constantly committing the safekeeping of their souls by a continuance in the doing of good to a faithful Creator.

J. Vernon McGee, who was a very wise and down-to-earth preacher reads this to mean the Bema Seat judgment for Christians, and the judgment of damnation for unbelievers. That's a plain, simple and straightforward view. I think it makes a lot of sense.

I don't see how national Israel could be in view here because reading the context of the entire epistle, it is all written to the Church.

Specifically in this passage, Peter says "...suffer [reproach] as a Christian..." not as an Israelite. The term "House of God" refers

back to "Christian" and "this name," as well as forward to "good news [gospel]" all in the same sentence.

I'm still not clear how the J.W.s try to make this into a works-based salvation. "...Therefore, also let those who are suffering according

to the will of God..." refers back to, "...But if he suffer [reproach] as a Christian..." these are Christians--folks who are already born-again,

not just hoping to be born again. They are to "...be constantly committing the safekeeping of their souls..." "...by a continuance in the

doing of good [i.e., perseverance of testimony in the face of persecution]..." "...to a faithful Creator..." Note that it is the Creator who

is faithfully safekeeping our souls, not us. Compare:

II Tim. 1:11–14

11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. [i.e., a Christian]

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am

persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. [i.e. that day of Bema Seat judgment]

13 Hold fast the form of sound words [perseverance of testimony], which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

I think this corroborates the interpretation of I Peter 4:17. We are exhorted to persevere in our testimony of sound words heard from

the Lord's Apostles [i.e., the Gospel] and trust God for the keeping of our souls [i.e., not ourselves].

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Perry,

I don't like all this talk of judgement and darkness. I prefer the words of that nice man John:

Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgement, but has passed from death to life. John 5.24

• Perry
    Perry

Agreed. But this is a good judgment; a happy time. I believe everyone gets at least one crown. Salvation is already secure as the verse you cite shows.

The Bema Seat takes its name using imagery from Paul's day. During the ancient Olympics, the judge sat along the finish line. His purpose was not to determine whether or not the participants actually ran the race. If they got that far, then they completed the course. But the Judge at the Bema seat determined how they came in, first, second, and so on, and he handed out the rewards. That is the imagery that the Bible gives us of Believer's Judgment. It is at the Judgment Seat of Life that Christ metes out the rewards, not the punishments that we earn in life.

The punishments, He has already dealt with by shedding his Blood on the Cross for all those who were willing to trust in Him. Your rewards are determined according to your works. That is the only place in which your works have any bearing on your eternity. Works won't save you. Only faith in Christ's completed Work on your behalf will. But your works do have a bearing as to your rewards.

This should be in the minds of every Christian. In heaven as in hell there are eternal consequences for our choices. Many in heaven will have eternal regrets that they did not do more for Christ the King in his absence on earth, not because they are scared of anything; but because they desire to do more for Jesus - to be entrusted with more of his business in the Kingdom of God after his return. I believe that in heaven we will all truly yearn to do something for the Lord, but those privledges are connected to our performance in the here and now.

Jesus said:

behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega - Rev. 22

Apparently God honors diligence and common sense. If a new government is imminent, then it behooves believers to lay up treasures in heaven. There will be an eternal payoff. Of course this isn't taught much in some of the high-profile bubble gum and candy churches that spout primarily a prosperity gospel now ... but it's there, loud and clear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit