Need advice on making new health care directive

by mostlydead 1 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

I just read that the clinic where I'm scheduled for an out-patient procedure next month does not honor advance directives. This is their legal right, at least in this state. I don't really like it, but I'm free to reschedule elsewhere if I choose to stand on principle.

Anyway, it got me thinking about the fact that I still haven't made an updated health care directive that does not include a statement saying "I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and here's what they say I can and can't have."

I'd like to know how to broach this topic with my husband who is an active, faithful JW. He's my named health care agent right now, but my new directive will not have any prohibition about blood in an emergency where I can't speak for myself. I think I need to ask him if he feels he can speak for me under those circumstances or if he'd rather I name a new health care agent. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of it than it is, but I have a feeling this is going to be a stressful discussion. Has anyone been through this and got any advice to share?

Thanks!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I wouldn't ask him if he prefers you to name another health care agent. I would ask him if he would/could honor your request to receive blood if it were necessary. His answer to that question should determine your decision. Your husband's preferences about who should act as your medical poa shouldn't matter. It's your life and you should have somebody who will honor your wishes acting on your behalf .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit