Anyone here watching HBO's Big Love?

by KingDavidwasframed 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

I just finished watching Season 1 and I plan on watching the rest. I was compelled to watch it because I like Bill Paxton AND I had heard that Mormons's and LDS (not really the same thing) were similar to JW's.

I was impressed to find that all Mormon's are not polygamists and that all LDS are not Mormon. I also find a similarity between many of the LDS and Witnesses that if you do not believe EVERYTHING that they teach, then you are shunned. There is also a false sense of love among the populace.

Over in "The Compound" where the hardline Mormon polygamists live, I found Roman (The Prophet) to be much like the PO in my old congregation (false sense of faith, love and very controlling) as well as many of the "self righteous" JW's. Even the way some of the women in the compound dress makes me think of certain halls and gatherings (perhaps not AS extreme, but ultra conservative non-the-less). They also believe in their own laws over man's and have their own "councils" and/or "police".

Any one else who watches it care to make any comments? What about if there are any Mormon's, LDS or polygamists here, whether you have seen it or not, do you have any comments on similarities, differences between the different divisions of Mormon and/or JW's?

• Gayle
    Gayle

Yes, I have found that series quite entertaining and the control and judgementalism and the protectionism of their faith, their "the principle" term is so similar to the JW term "the truth." The double standards, the fear factor, and their stress to uphold that insane belief system at all costs and to their misery among them is so similar too. I recommend it the movie series.

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Bill and his family sort of remind me of me. In a way, he believes in God and certain principles of his upbringing and yet he has no desire to go with mainstream LDS (me no desire to go back to the hall), nor does he care to go fundamentalist and live on The Compound (me not wanting to join another fundamentalist organization). He sees the judgemental attitude of others and lets them live their lives and only wishes they would let him live his. Barb's mother and family shun her (and her family) and yet pretend to show love just like many in my family. Although, I don't let it get to me like her.

Also, another comical feature is how the women in the compound all act like they have love amongst themselves and yet are very smug, judgemental and jealous around others.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Love it! My computer guy watches it with me and then quizzes me on the similarities with the jws. His brother has faded.

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Jamie,

Is his brother faded JW or LDS?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, I am quite addicted to the show. The fourth season got a little out there, but I won't give too much away. But, I do notice similiarities between the Witnesses and the LDS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit