Phil Hayworth

by why144000 6 Replies latest jw friends

• why144000
    why144000

Hi. Does anyone remember a CO from the '70s in Australia called Phil Hayward? he still has some tapes of his talks doing the rounds.

• penny2
    penny2

Do you mean he knows these tapes are doing the rounds? He should be embarrassed.

He was a lovely person but so young. I think he was 23 when he was our CO and very much into 1975. I heard he had a breakdown in later life.

penny

• Keith Agar
    Keith Agar

Hi Why

Phil was a lovely chap.

He was in Annandale . Sydney congo for a while and was very popular. I remember him as a ministry school o'seer and very warm.

His most "famous" talk was on Jesus , which was widely circulated. Manyyears later, after reading William Barclay' commentaries, I realized that Phil probably used them as reference material.

It was a talk that touched me emotionally and stirred my appreciation for Christ that had not been stirred in the previous 30 years.

He was selling roller skates for quite a while and then disappeared from the scene.

I heard from a "fan" of his that he had suffered a nervous breakdown and was a virtual recluse.

I hope he is well for he had a real love of people.

• penny2
    penny2

I also heard that talk about Jesus - if that's what's circulating, I guess he has no need to be embarrassed. The talks I was thinking of were about 1975 - very motivational in a cultlike way. But it's what he believed and he was very sincere.

He was much loved and some would be in tears when he left.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The name rings a bell but I was just a kid during the 70s.

• why144000
    why144000

Yes, the talk doing the rounds again was something about Jesus and his last day on earth. He gave my baptism talk in the 70's. I heard that he became 'apostate' (man, i hate that label!). Does anyone know if he is still in?

• Keith Agar
    Keith Agar

Hi again "Why"

I remember many many years ago reading the biography of the once famous but now seldom mentioned Bertrand Russell.

What struck me at the time was the mention of the regular Sunday lunches with his extended family, a motley crew of Parlimentarians, free thinkers , a forceful Church of England Minister, a Communist and varied creative types.

Bertrand himself, no stranger to debate described a virtual free for all, a cacophany of well thought out ideas and ones more of the spur of the moment observations, often heated, most often barely civil but with an affection that allowed for the "I beg to differ" acceptance of variety of opinions. They were family after all the dust settled.

I remember at the time thinking, "What a marvellous and normal way to be", at a time when I dare not share what I was reading in Barclay and in Phil Hayworths talks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit