Christian Radio show sounded a lot like a KH talk!

by sd-7 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I happened to be driving to pick up my wife and [step]daughter from the KH last night. I was listening to the radio and happened to press the preset button in my car. Surprisingly, TWO of them connected me to TWO different Christian radio stations! I didn't recall setting them as such. Weird...anyway, so I'm listening to this one guy just blasting people, warning that God may be a God of mercy, but he's also a God of judgment and is coming to JUDGE everyone for their sins. They even quoted the oft-quoted verse "it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

I couldn't help thinking how hilarious it was that this speech sounded IDENTICAL to what I've heard at the Kingdom Hall or at any convention or assembly! Throw in a few dozen "Jehovahs" and a "faithful slave" or 10, and it's the same deal! I couldn't help laughing out loud to myself!

It helped me to see that religion really is a joke--they all say the same B.S. about each other and all claim to be the biggest and the best and the loudest for God. Same old, same old. I find it tragic that I assumed we JWs were the ONLY ONES hearing about avoiding sins and doing God's will, when all I had to do was turn on the freakin' radio and I'd get the same thing. I guess I overlooked the fact that the moral ideas--apart from the Watchtower rules, that is--originated, not with any faithful slave class, but with the Bible itself. Everyone has access to it, and--shockingly--there are many people who actually OPEN it. And they READ it! And they're not JWs! Shocking!

I respect the Bible itself, at least the parts that don't seem illogical in hindsight; I do not respect religious groups themselves that spend more time blasting people for sins than helping them to find Christ in their lives. I could even dare to say "Christ"--because, you could say, he's a symbol, an ideal. Help the little guy, love your worst enemies, stand for justice--this is stuff anybody can agree with, regardless of belief.

Anybody else listen to Christian radio or notice stuff like that?

• Robert7
    Robert7

I drive on trips for work on occasion, and I sometimes enjoy getting a laugh listening to Christian radio. Some are even more nutty than the JW's. The born-agains tend to be more out there, talking about being saved, and non-believers will go to hell.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sunday morning TV in New Zealand makes a joke of the Witlesses claim to be the only ones preaching 'Good News'. All manner of sects, including doomsday cults get an airing.

I looked into putting up another satellite dish to get more channels, but 99% of the extra free to air channels would have been religious.

As for radio, it's getting difficult to find a station that plays good old-fashioned pop/rock. Trying to find a station in Auckland last week, every second station was either foreign language or singing about cheeses.

• stillin
    stillin

I once recognised an entire watchtower article being read over the radio, minus the "Jehovah's," of course

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    Surprisingly, TWO of them connected me to TWO different Christian radio stations! I didn't recall setting them as such.

The JW in your family did.

Trust me.

I did the same thing while I was active.

Judge Dread

• garyneal
    garyneal

I remember my wife telling me about a householder her dad encountered who was a minister and that he told her dad that he uses the WT articles to prepare for some of his sermons at his church. She and I came to the same conclusion that if he was using the articles, he may as well become a witness. No wonder so many church going people are so easily roped in by the WTS.

Sadly, I pretty much had to resign myself to the belief that no organized religion really connects you to God. While I believe Christianity does so for me, I find that religious people irritate me.

Sadly, the church I am attending is becoming more and more religious in ways that I don't like. My daughter and I left church early last Sunday because the guest preacher there began hollering and preaching apocolypitcally. I suppose it is inevitable given the teachings of the Bible itself but I so liked that church better under the old pastor who recently left it. He seemed a much more balanced and teached more on point regarding how we are suppose to watch our walk and not pay so much attention to what others are doing.

• Confucious
    Confucious

SD-7...

I'm on the road a lot and I listen to a lot of Christian radio.

The "surprise" of it all?

It's all the same - per se.

It's just that JW act like only they have the Bible.

They talk about witnessing (and yes, the use that word too.)

They know all the stories and their applications.

Confucious

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit