How I obtained my personal files from Bethel

by jwfacts 123 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Lesabre - did you turn in time for pie making?? lol.

Funny as it sounds, yes. Before I was a Bethelite I used to get called in sometimes to do casual help. I wasn't allowed to count the hours as witnessing, but the hours were deducted off the 1000 hour pioneer requirement for the year.

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper P.S. Important thread - read it.

• Gerard
    Gerard

I fail to see the point , advantage, benefit or satisfaction of having a hard copy of what you already know. Can somebody explain this to me, a non-JW?

Thanks.

• lesabre
    lesabre

i sent the link to my mom. she told me that when we moved our letter to the next congregation basicly said that we were mooches and only in it for what we could gain from the brothers and sisters, in other words, we were poor and they couldn't benefit from US. she found that out from an elder's wife who's husband told her EVERYTHING about everything. so THAT explains why no one would EVER help us out when my dad got laid off and we LITERALLY went hungry and the elders all knew it. never mind that WE were always the first in line to help anyone else.

i would LOVE to get a hold of my records to see what ELSE was written about me. we moved a lot, so there would be quite a few letters informing the next cong of our evil ways. pshhhh.

• lesabre
    lesabre

i dunno if this has been posted (i don't have a very good attention span) BUT....

wouldn't it be awesome if somehow a law got passed that forced the org to send EVERYONE (especially actives) their personal records?? how much problems do you think that would cause within? lol. but, of course, that is a dream that will never come true.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Gerard - I fail to see the point , advantage, benefit or satisfaction of having a hard copy of what you already know.

As a JW you don't know these things. Many JW's are not even aware such letters are sent. If you are aware, you do not get to see them or find out what was written. There is no benefit to me knowing what was on file, but it was interesting to receive and creates a headache to the Watchtower.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Gerald,

If there is no advantages or benefit, how comes then we see a large volume of interest in this thread with even suggesting to put in the hall of fame?????? We have benefited a lot as to the way this publishing corporation works. There are secret infomation that I would like to know that I believe is being kept by the WTS. I look to the day when I will bring them to task to release them.

• wobble
    wobble

The benefit of doing this is not so much personal, it may give a kind of closure to some, but the important thing is it takes away a lot of the power of the WT Organization.

They cannot now say just what they like in such communications, knowing that they are going to be seen by the person concerned, and subsequently maybe the whole world on the internet.

It may too, help Elders to see just how twisted the thinking of the WT is, as they have to couch their findings and decisions in words that the public will not see as weird.

Wobble

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    It may too, help Elders to see just how twisted the thinking of the WT is, as they have to couch their findings and decisions in words that the public will not see as weird.

A very good point, Wobble.

The problem with full disclosure will be that private communication will take over, like email and verbal, which will make the cult more clam-like. But forcing elders to write cult messages in plain language, as Wobble says, may be like tapping them on the head gently with a brick.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    I fail to see the point , advantage, benefit or satisfaction of having a hard copy of what you already know. Can somebody explain this to me, a non-JW?

Firstly, it's clear from Paul's narrative (even if you didn't bother to read the scans) that there was stuff he didn't know at the time.

Secondly, the process of having your records released is one that hasn't yet been documented by former Jehovah's Witnesses as far as I know. For some who may have more dramatic or life-changing or life-saving or legally important stories to tell, this is important.

(Gerard, people die, people lose their families physically or emotionally or socially or custodially, or lose family members to death, by committing to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. That's just the start of the trauma that documents like these initiate.)

Legally, in Australia or the UK at least, I look forward to this thread having some impact on at least one child custody or wrongful death case, and I really hope to see it having an impact in the more litigious US.

Thirdly, the cult language would be interesting to anybody with even a remote interest in mind-control and group-speak.

Fourthly, we are all interested in what people say about us behind our backs. Until this thread I've never thought about what the elders in my home congregation said about me when I moved to my new one.

By now my give-a-shit-meter has hit zero, but I'm sure there are many people reading this who would like to know what was said about them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit