RETIREMENT!! golden years or dark ages...

by peaches 5 Replies latest jw friends

• peaches
    peaches

this system is ending!!! why worry about the future....did anyone save for retirement??? what are your plans??? i didn't because god would take care of things...PLEASE!! i know,,how pathetic is that...CAN YOU SAY BRAIN DEAD!!! but i will be ok,,,,i have worldly family and i am going to move close to them....i am 56years old,,,so have some time left...

i am really excited about my plans for the future...i just want to live a quiet life,,,be with family,,,and hopefully have just a few really close friends by that time...i would like to move into an apartment where rent is based on income....work as long as i can,,,,and enjoy simple things....at this point i am not inclined to be with anyone "special"....

when you get into "senior" apartments,,,,there is alot of planned activities,,,social rooms,,,etc etc...so if you are lonesome or want company you will always have it....if you want quiet..you get that also...

i know this sounds boring,,,but,,,i really want this....life has been a real nightmare....i cannot even began to put it into words...so,,,for me and my status this would be good....

so,,,,what about you?????

• Heaven
    Heaven

Peaches... it is good to know what you want in retirement. What you have stated sounds completely do-able to me.

For me, personally, when I went to College, I took an optional course called "Personal Finance". The instructor told us the one important tax break that Canadians can benefit from is to contribute to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan. I have been doing this ever since I got my job after graduating from College.

In Canada, the government has already recinded the mandatory retirement age (which was 65) so we can now work 'til we die. Recently, the Canadian government has been concerned about the Canada Pension Plan and the numbers of people in Canada actually saving for retirement. They want to somehow incent people to start saving more. With more and more people retiring, they're worried that the Pension Plan will be in trouble. The second change they are making starts in 2012 where they are clawing back additional pension monies for those who claim early.

Our retirement counsellors have urged those of us close to or of eligibility here at work to start planning for retirement at least 10 years before we wish to do so.

My plans involve doing the things I enjoy. I have not ruled out the possibility of having to work but I am hoping it won't be what I am presently doing. I would love to have some property in the country where I can have a farm with a garden and some animals, including horses, chickens, ducks, and maybe a cow or 2. I would actually love to do this now but elder care is taking priority at the moment along with having to work in the city.

I hope that I have a special someone with me in my retirement.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm mostly a solitary person so I'm mostly concerned with my ability to remain independent and in my own home when I retire. I have no desire to live in a retirement home and even less interest in their planned activities. If I want someone planning my life I'll remarry, adopt new parents, or join another cult. (insert gag reflex here).

W

• peaches
    peaches

heaven--ALL RIGHT CANADA!!!!

Finally free--i understand your independance desire...i hope you get to stay in your home for a really long time....GOOD HEALTH TO YOU...

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm also 56, and when I retire, I just want to write, garden, and spend time with my family.

I believe I will also get involved with mentoring/tutoring young people.

I sooooooooooooo look forward to retirement!

Sylvia

• St George of England
    St George of England

I am in my 60's and have been retired for 10 years due to ill health. I had always planned on working as long as possible as I really enjoyed my work. Fortunately we can manage OK financially as I went to University after we married and were always careful with money. We have our own house and no debt which also helps.

Often I think how different it would have been if I had followed the GB directive and not gone to University. We would be living in rented accomodation, no security and scraping by on State Pension! The guys at Brooklyn really haven't got a clue as to what real life is like on the outside. They are completely institutionalised. I think they should be put out for a year's sabbatical every seven years and told to find a job and accomodation. They would soon change their tune when they had to find money for gas, electricity, taxes, food etc etc etc.

The main problem I find after limitations due to health is the lack of academic challenge. I really miss my work and would always say to anyone never retire unless you have to do so, or unless you really do not enjoy your career. When you do retire ensure you do something that gives you mental exercise; take a part-time course, join a club or some other outside interest to keep the grey matter working.

Hope it all works out for you

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit