Facebook (computer) question

by Mad Sweeney 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If one sends a message via facebook that might also include a picture, is it possible for the receiver to trace where the message came from? Obviously, they know it came from Facebook Username SoAndSo, but do they have any way to know (perhaps via some tags on the image) where the message really came from (ip address, location, etc.)?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Probably depends on how savvy the recipient and his/her friends are.

Some people seem to take things like that as a challenge to see if they can locate the source.

Me, I just figured out how to initiate sending a message on Facebook - so what do I really know about your question afterall..??!!

-Aude.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

It's the information age..nothing is safe! If someone wants to find you bad enough they will

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

So for instance: a setup FB account using a secure email address with no personal identification on it is used to send a message to another FB user. How would the recipient trace that back to the REAL person?

• goman
    goman

No, that info is not readily available. But I think Facebook keeps a confidential log of everybody's IP address where they logged into. This could be subpoenaed by courts for criminal case. I'm not sure how capable Watchtower is in persuading Facebook your records.

If you're in a firewall network they cannot easily pinpoint the terminal from which you logged on. For example, if you used firewall Z, then they only know the IP of firewall Z. But they do not know if it came from terminal 1, 2, or 2000. They will have to go to firewall Z and subpoena their logs.

Here's a trick, but I think it's still traceable:
    Remote into a computer then login to Facebook from that computer. Theoretically, the IP address will be the location of the computer you remote into.

Or, you can use a combination of firewall and remote login technique.

Free WiFi on shoppes usually have firewalls.

Try dial-in ISP, the IP address usually changes. Check your PM.

• bohm
    bohm

MadS: I would personally consider what you are doing 100% safe, provided the facebook account is "clean", and you only used the email to setup that account and nothing else that might carry your name with it.

One thing you should be carefull about is the image though. It may contain meta information that *might* have your name on it. So if its a picture you took with your camera or edited with software registered in your name, etc. - be carefull!

A first check could be to open the image in microsoft image viewer and see if there is something like "files -> view image information" or something like that.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

No it isn't traceable (unless facebook themselves wanted to trace it, even then it would only be an ip address maybe, if they log them for messages, which could only locate you within say 50 miles or so)

• goman
    goman

i agree they don't just give out your ip address. its a waste of page space to include techenese ip add.

btw, your real address might be in your profile and thats a giveaway.

try googling how to facebook this could help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit