Memorial Attendance: "What's Going On?"

by sweet pea 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

50 including the bored squirming kids!

I only went to please my parents as they are now quite elderly & worked damned hard raising us kids in the 'truth'

However even they can see there's now something wrong with the WBTS.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

That's 50 in total in attendance.

As you can see we are a small congregation.

We have had just over a 100 in attendance in the past but will probably never see that again.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

You know what I found so annoying?

When the emblems were passed around instead of keeping silent the speaker felt the need to fill the silence with some inane babble about what the bread was made from & how the wine.....................oh I cant even remember what he said about the wine.

Really took the solemnity of the occasion away.

• Heartofaboy
  • Heaven
    Heaven

for the first time the attendance was seriously down - 203 as opposed to last year's 250

Some people are waking up as there have been some significant changes recently that are pretty difficult to swallow especially if you're already having doubts. Some of these changes are creating the doubts, however, I also think that people are starting to die off.

My Dad was going through his address book a few months back and with many of them he'd comment, saying something like "They're gone." or "Oh, they died."

So between the Internet, they're own stupidity in changing stuff (among many other idocies), and the aging Christian populations in the industrialized nations, they have to expect their numbers to go down in these areas. Luckily, they still have the untapped potential of converting non-Christian believers... if they're gutsy enough.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    When the emblems were passed around instead of keeping silent the speaker felt the need to fill the silence with some inane babble about what the bread was made from & how the wine.....................oh I cant even remember what he said about the wine.
    Really took the solemnity of the occasion away.

I remember back in the 1970s a real contraversy over doing this. I also thought it diminished the "solemn nature" of the ceremony and did not do it when I conducted. One Circuit Overseer liked this practice, yet another disapproved of it.

I can't remember if the outline suggested it or not, but do remember that it was not done where I attended in the 60s, and got started in the 70s.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Attendance down by 36 which is 22%. Late start didn't help though.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit