why the WTS is an NGO...

by lilyflor 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=17056

it's all about getting into countries, and they are still at it..

why don't they post this on their media website?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Interesting.

~~~

Missionary activities of INGOs rife

REKHA KUSUM REGMI/RSS

KATHMANDU, April 4 : Many International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs) working in Nepal for development and capacity building are involved in missionary activities, officials at Social Welfare Council (SWC) say.

They say the SWC has been informed that the INGOs have been involved in conversion of religion of people by promising jobs, conducting religious prayers during office time and expansion of their religion through different training but no formal complaint has been lodged in the council.

There are 223 INGOs registered to work in Nepal, 46 of which are inactive.

The missionary activities of the INGOs have increased since Nepal was declared a secular state in 2006. An official said some Christian missionary organizations used to conduct their covert activities, by avoiding the eyes of the authorities in the past.

Arjun Bhattarai, a central member of the NGO Federation of Nepal, accepted that some INGOs are involved in Christian missionary activities to some extent due to the lack of categorization of such INGOs under the Organization Registration Act, 2034 BS.

The Interim Constitution of Nepal says nobody can convert someoneĀ“s religion and nobody can conduct any activity that can affect otherĀ“s religion even though the constitution grants right to every individual to follow, practice and protect his/her religion without affecting the existing social and cultural harmony.

SWC officials said they have been informally informed that some INGOs announce vacancies open for all but hire only those who have faith in or who promise to convert to the religion with which the INGOs concerned are involved.

"In informal talks, people tell us that many INGOs have been involved in missionary activities and they give preference to religion while selecting workforce in their organizations. But nobody has lodged a formal complaint against any INGO," said Ratna Bahadur Gaha Magar, the SWC treasurer.

He said the SWC denied registration of an INGO called Watch Tower Bible and Track Society, which wanted to conduct religious activities. He said the council does not grant permission to any organization to work in Nepal if the objective of the organization is to expand religion.

No INGO can work in Nepal without securing affiliation with the council.

The NGO Federation also does not give affiliation to any I/NGO which has religion expansion as its objective. Bhattarai, however, said such organizations have been registered in the District Administration Offices (DAOs) as there is no provision of categorization of organizations at the time of their registration in the DAOs.

Amar Pokharel of Tahachal said he was denied job by an INGO for refusing to change religion. "I had applied for a job in an NGO. I had mentioned my religion as Hindu. They called me for an interview and told me that they can give me the job only if I agreed to convert my religion. I refused and I did not get the job as well," he said.

SWC treasurer Gaha Magar said around Rs 17 billion is brought in the country through INGOs. The council has a separate department to monitor the activities of the INGOs. But the council is toothless with regard to taking action against any organization involved in illegal activities or conducting activities beyond their declared objectives.

While granting affiliation to INGOs, the council demands registration paper in the country of origin, the constitution of the organization, guarantee of grant amount of a minimum of $100,000, concept paper, project proposal, agreement to work, cover letter and dependable source of funding.

No matter how many requirements the INGOs have to meet before getting permission to work in Nepal, covert missionary activities of some INGOs have not been controlled.

In democracy and secularism, it is the right of an individual to choose a religion of his choice. But it is a crime and inhumane activity to force, press or allure people to change their religion.

There needs a strong monitoring from the government against forceful conversion of religion and punishment for those found guilty.
    Published on 2010-04-04 16:27:18
  • yknot
    yknot

In one word..... ENTITLEMENT.

The R&F are not entitled to such information.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, looks like they are still at it. Eating at both tables, aren't they?

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

eating at both tables, love it!

• yknot
    yknot

Don't forget we are still NGOs with OSCE too!

• peaches
  • ziddina
    ziddina

Having to register with the U.N. in order to expand the preaching work???

What, isn't "Jehover" directing the "finding new cult members" work with his 'spirit', anymore...????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit