Did your parents' zealousness ever embarass you?

by keyser soze 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My dad was/is very zealous about announcing his faith. But he doesn't quite have the knack for it, or the tact.

Case in point: When I was a kid, about 12 I think, him, my brother and I were walking into a department store when we encountered a lady out in front who was passing out leaflets for a political candidate. It wasn't even a major election. It was for City Council, or Alderman. But instead of simply saying "No thank you" and walking away, my dad proudly said "No. My king is Jesus Christ in heaven".

I'll never forget the baffled look on her face, or her response("to each their own, I guess"), or the sympathetic look she shot me and my brother. Good times.

• blondie
    blondie

keyser, your dad is one of a kind. He reminds me of his mother.

Now my dad was not a jw and my mother never wanted to "embarrass" my father by talking about her religious affiliation even to the point of not going to the meetings when we were on vacation or out of town for the weekend. We missed quite a few meetings...not bad except we had to spend more time around our abusive father.

Blondie

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Dad was zealous for a while. It actually frightened me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My mom would Witness everywhere and anywhere..

Funeral.."Your wife is`nt in Heaven..She`s Dead!!".. ......................She did`nt make any friends that day..People were frigg`in pissed off..LOL!!

Liquour store.."Did you know aging is unatural?".. ........................The liquor store clerk just rolled her eyes at my crazy aging mom..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• The Finger
    The Finger

Zealous may not be the right word for my father. It was embarrassing in my teens, mostly his answers in the Watchtower. He was an Elder.

• cult classic
    cult classic

My parents were never zealous witnesses! But they raised us to do as they say and not as they do. So we all entered full time service.

So no they never embarassed me. But I am extremely embarrassed at my own zealousness.

Cult Classic

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Outlaw & I must share the same Mum, just different continents.... She would witness everywhere and insist we always call on school friends homes when we did their map...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not a regular parent, but a spiritual one. The scumbag that dragged me in would always insist on banging on the door frame. Mind you, not just the door--but the beam where the door closes. This would make the householder think there was a major earthquake, and I would not be able to get out of presenting the littera-trash. Good thing most of them didn't take it or follow through with it.

• wobble
    wobble

My parents were both super regular at meetings and in FS.

They themselves were not an embarrassment to me, they were gentle and modest in their approach, but the whole Witness thing was something I wanted to hide from everyone that I could, school friends, everybody.

I guess deep down I realised they were a bunch of weirdos.

Wobble

• Cinnamon (TOO)
    Cinnamon (TOO)

YES!!!!

In the bathroom line at a popular mall. DragonLady (my mom) spotted the daughter (non-JW) of a sister in our cong. She proceeded to remind her of her lack of faith in Jehovah. Outloud. I'm talking about a shouting match, people. In front of everyone. Or, at least everyone standing in front of the women's restroom so you can imagine the number of people who witnessed this little incident.

DragonLady never misses an oppurtunity to remind people that they don't have the Truth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit