Is the vindication of God's name taught in mainstream Christianity?

by pirata 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pirata
    pirata

I always found it odd that God would be so fixated on his good name that so many others would have to suffer so that he could say "See, I was right! I told you so!".

Is the Vindication of God's Name/Sovereignty a teaching unique to JW's, or is this also taught in mainstream Christianity?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Probably unique. I went to a mainstream church for twenty years, post JW and I don't recall hearing either one. My five volume Zondervan Encylocpedia of the Bible has no entry under "vindication" and only a brief one under "sovereignty." This second entry points out that there is no scripture that says God is the Sovereign of the world, but the concept is implied.

I think the reaction of most Christians to the statement "God is sovereign" would be "Well, Duh!" I think they would be nonplussed by the idea that he needs us to vindicate himself.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's not even a Witness teaching any more. They gave it up in the mid 1990s.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Vindication of God's name or sovereignty is not taught in mainstream religion. Such a teaching does make God look rather petty. I believe the witnesses teach the need to vindicate God's sovereignty rather than his name. Not much difference.

• pirata
    pirata

slimboyfat, I forgot about that new light! From Wikipedia:

1995: The expression "vindication of Jehovah’s name" declared unnecessary, with emphasis on "vindicating his sovereignty" and "sanctifying his name" as being more accurate. [ 251 ] The former expression had not appeared in any publication since 1991. [ 252 ]

I guess I'll change my question to "Is the vindication of God's sovereignty" or "sanctifying his name" taught in mainstream Christianity?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well if we're pedantic the Lords Prayer goes...'Let your name be sanctified ' so I suppose they do acknowledge it?

Loz x

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I installed the new CD ROM just to find this, so I'll post it even though you found it on wiki pirata:

***w955/15pp.24-26Part2—FlashesofLight—GreatandSmall***

IncreasedLightonTerminology

“The congregator sought to find the delightful words and the writing of correct words of truth.” (Ecclesiastes 12:10) These words might well be applied to our present subject, for light has shone not only on such important matters as doctrine and conduct but also on Christian terminology and its accurate meaning. For example, among the Bible Students, one of the most beloved publications was volume one of StudiesintheScriptures, entitled TheDivinePlanoftheAges. However, in time, it was realized that God’s Word speaks only of humans as making plans. (Proverbs 19:21) The Scriptures never speak of Jehovah as planning. He does not need to plan. Whatever he purposes is sure to succeed because of his infinite wisdom and power, even as we read at Ephesians 1:9, 10: “It is according to his good pleasure which he purposed in himself for an administration at the full limit of the appointed times.” So it was gradually seen that the term “purpose” is the more appropriate one when referring to Jehovah.

Then there was the matter of getting a clearer understanding of Luke 2:14. According to the KingJamesVersion, it reads: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” It was seen that this did not express the correct thought, for God’s goodwill is not expressed toward the wicked. The Witnesses therefore viewed this as a matter of peace to men who were of goodwill toward God. So they kept referring to those interested in the Bible as persons of goodwill. But then it was understood that what was involved was goodwill, not on the part of men, but on the part of God. Thus, the NewWorldTranslation footnote on Luke 2:14 speaks of “men whom he [God] approves.” All Christians who are living up to their vow of dedication have God’s goodwill.

Similarly, for a long time, Witnesses spoke of the vindication of Jehovah’s name. But had Satan called Jehovah’s name into question? For that matter, had any of Satan’s agents done so, as if Jehovah did not have a right to that name? No, not at all. It was not the name of Jehovah that was challenged and that needed to be vindicated. That is why the Watch Tower Society’s recent publications do not speak of Jehovah’s name as being vindicated. They speak of Jehovah’s sovereignty as being vindicated and of his name as being sanctified.This is in keeping with what Jesus told us to pray: “Let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9) Time and again, Jehovah said that he was going to sanctify his name, which the Israelites had not challenged but had profaned.—Ezekiel 20:9, 14, 22; 36:23.

Interestingly, in 1971, the book “TheNationsShallKnowThatIAmJehovah”—How? made this distinction: “Jesus Christ fights . . . for the vindication of Jehovah’s universal Sovereignty and for the glorification of Jehovah’s name.” (Pages 364-5) In 1973, God’sKingdomofaThousandYearsHasApproached said: “The coming ‘great tribulation’ is the time for Almighty God Jehovah to vindicate his universal sovereignty and to sanctify his worthy name.” (Page 409) Then, in 1975, Man’sSalvationOutOfWorldDistressatHand! stated: “The greatest event of universal history will then have been accomplished, the vindication of Jehovah’s universal sovereignty and the sanctification of his sacred name.”—Page 281.

How blessed Jehovah’s people are to be basking in all this spiritual light! In stark contrast, expressive of the spiritual darkness in which the leaders of Christendom find themselves is this statement by a clergyman: “Why sin? Why suffering? Why the devil? These are questions I want to ask the Lord when I get to heaven.” But Jehovah’s Witnesses can tell him why: Because of the issue of the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty and the question as to whether human creatures can maintain integrity to God in spite of the Devil’s opposition.
  • choosing life
    choosing life

That quote is just plain disturbing. I had forgotten how self-righteous their writings are. Count me in with the folks that have some questions to ask of God.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

"Count me in with the folks that have some questions to ask of God."

Choosing Life, I am with you there. But I really begin to think that the God of the Bible was made by man in the image that man chose for him, at least in the Old Testament. And in the New Testament, I think the only thing to be truly counted on are the Gospel accounts. Jesus truly did give us something to emulate. However, I find it difficult to believe that Christianity is the one true religion. I think all religions are made up primarily of man-made ideas, including the vindication of God's name.

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit