Question for the deaf folks here....

by ana_dote 1 Replies latest jw friends

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

When I was an active JW I had a several friends that learned sign language in their respective areas to preach to the deaf population. I just recently saw a thread on here that mentioned there were several posters here who were deaf or hearing impaired in some way. That got me to thinking about something that I'm now curious to hear some possible insight on....

I was always told that the deaf have a very tight knit community and that it can be very hard to earn their trust and/or "fit in" sometimes with them. First of all, is that accurate, that there is a very strong sense of exclusivity among those with hearing impairment?

If so, that leads to my main question...if anyone is able to answer this from personal experience that'd be awesome. Since studying with and becoming a JW pretty much requires shunning anyone who is "worldly", did it/how did it affect your relationship with the others in the deaf community? Were there instances (I'm guessing there probably were) where you were encouraged to give up all ties with that resource and rely solely on the WTBTS and the local ASL group/congregation?

There's not a real point behind my asking...just a great curiosity. I would imagine it would be a very difficult and almost persecution-type thing to be "converted" if they encouraged (as they do with anyone else) cutting off ties with all "worldly associates". Please feel free to give your personal experience (if you want to) with the JWs in relation to the deaf community!

:-)

• berryqueen
    berryqueen

Yes we were encouraged to cut of all ties to the deaf community that are "worldly" but I think for many of us, we still socialized with them. I don't know about the others but I did that and it did help me restore my sanity when I left the JW, I went back to my worldly friends and they welcomed me open arms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit