Do you feel that most on this forum/board have "acedia"?

by StoneWall 9 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

It's a word that you may not hear very often so I want to add the definition as it appears in my Webster's dictionary.

acedia- "1. an onset of distaste for and boredom with all religious practices 2.spiritual sloth or apathy,esp. that resulting

from such an onset"

I was reading on CNN news earlier and saw a subject that dealt with Acedia and felt it was relevant to what many on

the forum are going through in life from your experiences and stories.

It is a very short article but well worth reading.

I'm interested to see if any others besides me can relate to some of the things that are mentioned in the article.

I'll try and post the link to it here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/personal/04/06/got.acedia.spiritual.morphine/index.html?hpt=C2

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i had that once, but i got some ointment from the doctor to clear it up

• Terry
    Terry

i had that once, but i got some ointment from the doctor to clear it up

Where did you smear it??

• snowbird
    snowbird

No, else they wouldn't be here.

Sylvia

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

If the Christian church has made too much of the vice of pride, which seduces us into thinking too highly of ourselves, it has not made enough of sloth, which allows us to settle for being less than we can be, both as individuals and a society.”

I can relate to this. Being in a religion that praises visible works and adulate those in position of service “authority”, it was easy for me to believe that I knew all that there was to know about the Creator, and that I was a righteous person. For many years I “settle[d] for being less than” I could be when it came to my spirituality, faith, communion with God…and the use of my critical thinking faculties.

I find myself in “acedia”, from time to time; partially due to the aversion I’ve developed towards religious righteousness and legalism.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” -Matthew 5:3 (NIV)

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Still giggling about the ointment ha ha ....sorry

Loz x

• StoneWall
    StoneWall
    No, else they wouldn't be here. -Sylvia

I see this as right the opposite. They would rather be here and talk and discuss things than be in church,kingdom hall,

temple, etc.

I know this doesn't apply to all because some here are very adamant about their religious views since leaving the WT.

But have you read most of the threads lately? They tend to deal with sports,politics,dating,eating,socializing,movies,

best places to vacation and so on. Very little as far as religious compared to all the other threads. And I think this is a

good thing. I feel more and more people are coming to terms with the idea that spirituality is different than religious.

They are not the same thing under different names.

Thus the one thing I can agree with J.F.Rutherford on is "religion is a snare and a racket".

And more people are figuring this out and becoming disillusioned with religion.

Hopefully this will lead to greater advancements in the scientific community as well as fostering peoples individual

spirituality apart from jumping through hoops in the name of religion.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Hopefully this will lead to greater advancements in the scientific community as well as fostering peoples individual
    spirituality apart from jumping through hoops in the name of religion.

Yes, I see what you mean now.

Not indifference per se, but indifference to religion.

Count me in on that.

Sylvia

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

And on a similar note I've had the opportunity of talking with some "brothers" from the surrounding halls close by me

and can tell by their tone and speech that they are just there going through the motions for the sake of family and friends.

I could just sense the boredom and monotony. There was no excitement in their voices or big smiles on their faces.

Makes me think the majority at the hall are there for appearances sake alone and not for the religious implications.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

where did i smear it? i did not smear it anywhere, i had someone smear it for me in my bedroom no no places. took the onset of distaste for religious practices away. i felt very close to god at that point. i believe it was a spiritual connection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit