Jesus and Bible Movies

by PSacramento 5 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Over the weekend I had a chance to see a few "Jesus movies", and the 10 Commandaments of course ( Yul Brenner steals that movie).

My family and I loved the Gospel of John, by far our favorite "Jesus Movie"

King of Kings is Ok and The greatest story ever told is NOT a good representation, it lacked passion, lacke consistency and was not very well acted nor was it well written.

The mini-series, Jesus of Nazareth, was a good one too.

I was wondering if people had other recommendations.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Passion of the Christ.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Indeed, though not for kids ;)

I have head that "The Miracle maker:the story of Jesus" is a great animation along the lines of Prince of Egypt and such, anyone ever saw it?

Passion of Christ is, well...a movie that one must see.

I know that when it first came out there were many issues with it, from glorifing violence to the anti-semitisim that seemed to provail in it.

A word on the violence aspect of it, yes it was violent, very much so, nevertheless, if Jesus had been whipped and tortured like that, it was pretty darn close to the reality of such a brutal beating.

If there was one thing that always "bothered" me about movies where people are whipped it is that they never give an accurate view of what a whipping truly entails.

It is an horrific event.

• bruce
    bruce

my first post. have watched book of john 50 times ? also book of matthew all by visual bible productions and I hear that mark will soon be out very good and word 4 word

• looloo
    looloo

i loved jesus of nazereth and presumed jws would also when i got involved with them , but they hated it , the reason given was "jesus looked scruffy " (robert powell ) and it took bible verse out of context .(pot kettle black ,springs to mind ) i told them that the real jesus probably was scruffy , so what ? and as for john the baptist he lived in the wilderness for goodness sake of course he would be scruffy and not look like the nicely trimmed beard clean looking chaps in the watchtower literature !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Out of curiosity, what do the JW's think of the Gospel of John?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit