What would this religion look like if.....Revelation was never included?

by maninthemiddle 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Since it is the largerst contributer to the "7 times" and to the 144k. This would of couse wipe out 1914 and 1919.

Since the WTS like to use bible imagery to apply to them selves and modern times, that would basically just leave Jesus' words and Paul's and others letters . (Daniel too)

This would also seriously put a dent in the paradise (earth) and great crowd doctrins also. When it comes to trying to explain Revelation much prefer the "I don't Know" answer.

I ask this mainly becuase I think that would put them closer to other mainstream religions, even though none that I know of throw out Revelation, most don't try to make up meanings for it's writings.

What do you think?

And can you think of any other "What ifs"?

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

I believe the fact that you can tie every major/false doctrine of the JWs to the Book Of Revelation is more proof that the the Book Of Revelation isn't inspired. Even if they didn't have the Book Of Revelation they would just use the terms "little flock" for 144k and "other sheep" for the "great crowd". As far as 1914 and 1919 is concerned, I never did understand those doctrines and even the book of revelation says nothing to support them.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I believe the fact that you can tie every major/false doctrine of the JWs to the Book Of Revelation is more proof that the the Book Of Revelation isn't inspired

You said what I was trying to say better than I did.

I guess that even if it wansn't there then they would find something else to mke up.

• teel
    teel

My greatest "What if": What if WWI didn't break out in 1914?

All the other "proofs" about the world getting progressively worse in all areas since then is simply BS, as anyone looking into facts can testify that. But you can't deny that something really major did happen in 1914. Of course it was just simple coincidence, yet imo that coincidence is major part of keeping alive the religion after Russel's death.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Good point, Teel.

• sir82
    sir82
    My greatest "What if": What if WWI didn't break out in 1914?

JWs (or "Bible Students", anyway) would have shrunk and drifted off into obscurity, like the Millerites when nothing major happened in 1843 or 1844.

Out of all the fringe pseudo-Christian groups making prophecies about this or that, JWs happened to "win the lottery" because the year they picked happened to coincide with a major historical event.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit