Was DPI assoc. even adequate for library access?

by Five Gospels 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Five Gospels
    Five Gospels

I’ve been reading many of the UN threads with interest but I am already finding it difficult to locate little tidbits of information spread across the numerous threads on this issue that I didn’t bother to bookmark. :|?

I think it’s already well established that the WT Society’s “associative status” with the UN’s DPI was not required to gain access to its library (as my understand is that any person can request permission and may thereafter be granted access on a temporary basis) but I also seem to recall reading that somebody actually contacted the UN’s main library and that person was informed that NGO’s with DPI-associative status do not have automatic access to the library’s materials but must still request a pass or “card” which also requires some type of formal application. Could somebody please confirm this and/or direct me to the relevant thread?

If this is true, then signing-up with the DPI is not even a satisfactory condition (never mind a prerequisite) for gaining access to the UN’s library since one must still go through the same channels as any other person/organization in order to obtain a pass. The Society might be inclined to insist that DPI association somehow facilitates the process of securing a pass but this wouldn’t wash since they must still renew their associative status with the DPI year after year which (as we all know) has its own very specific requirements.

I’m currently an active MS but I have also been quietly and painstakingly collecting “information” for some time now. I appreciate the hard work and research done by many of you on this and other issues. Any assistance regarding my question would also be greatly appreciated.

F G

• Will Power
    Will Power

If you have been investigating then you are already finding out
    the difference between
    What they say and WHAT IS

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

After DPI affiliation is obtained, all that is necessary is to submit evidence of the affiliation to the library, and a grounds pass is issued.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

In case I'm accused of not sticking religiously to the topic of the thread I'm starting a new thread with the reply I made some moments ago here.

• avengers
    avengers

The way I see it, and I may be wrong, is that it really doesn't matter for what reason it might be for joining the UN.
    All the years that I was JW they explicitly said in all their magazines and books not to affiliate with the UN, for the simple reason that it's the scarlet-colored wild beast in Revelation.
    But they themselves affiliated with this wild beast in secret for ten years. Then being caught, they have lied their way out of this. Anybody who is the least honest can see this.

Here is the post with the answer the Dutch Branch-Office gave me.
    <href=" http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=15511&site=3

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

five, everything that you have stated is what I perceive also. One other thing to consider is that the WBTS is also using the idea that they needed to have the UN affiliation to do relief work in other countries. They are saying that in order to be in some countries to provide it they need to register this with the UN. This is total bunk. First off....do you remember ever seeing where they have done relief work for the general public anywhere? Sure, they say they do..........such as with the 9/11 incident but from eyewitness accounts what they published did not happen.......at least for "worldly" people. I seem to remember a Questions from Readers once where a reader asked why it was not stressed to recycle or systems were not set up for relief work for people experiencing tragedy and the WBTS's response was that whatever they could provide was of no consequence since Jehovah in His own time would take care of all of that. They also sated that their only obligation at this time was to spread the word.

• Five Gospels
    Five Gospels

Thanks for your help everybody. I think I found what I was looking for. William Penwell referenced it in Lionel_P_Hartley's Library Card Defense - All aspects thread. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=19130&site=3

The actual information that I was thinking of is in the form of a letter from Dana Loytved, the Senior Reference Librarian at the United Nations Library in New York, written in response to someone's query. It says in part:

The procedure for a library pass is the following: the interested party needs to fill out an application form and supply a letter of recommendation in support of the research. [...] UN Security checks the application and, if approval is granted, instructs the Pass Office to issue a library pass for the applicant.

The issuance of a library pass is independent of NGO status or any other status. There has been no change in the library pass policy in general ...

(Bold lettering is mine) The entire letter is available online at http://www.thetruthhurts.freeservers.com/librarycard.htm

Now I think this is very interesting. I'm not trying to split hairs as I fully agree with what avengers said in that "it really doesn't matter for what reason it might be for joining the UN." However, whenever the Society is confronted on this issue, they may state that while [Admittedly] DPI association is not necessary for access to the UN's library, DPI association is sufficient. My contention (and I may be misunderstanding this letter) is that DPI association is neither necessary nor sufficient by itself to secure a pass to the library. One must always submit an application regardless of there "status" so very little is gained by being associated with the DPI. If my interpretation of this letter is correct, then their "library card excuse" is all the more tenuous.

JosephAlward, you stated that

After DPI affiliation is obtained, all that is necessary is to submit evidence of the affiliation to the library, and a grounds pass is issued.
    So it is your understanding that an NGO does not need to fill out an application and be cleared by UN security if they are associated with DPI. Do you know this for a fact?
  • Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

Five Gospels,

In response to my inquiry I just received this:

The procedure for a library pass is the following: the interested party
    needs to fill out an application form and supply a letter of
    recommendation
    in support of the research. If the needed material is not available in
    a
    UN depository library (the list of depository libraries is posted at:
    http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/deplib/countries/), the application is
    approved
    and sent to UN Security. UN Security checks the application and, if
    approval is granted, instructs the Pass Office to issue a library pass
    for
    the applicant.

The issuance of a library pass is independent of NGO status or any
    other
    status. There has been no change in the library pass policy.

NGO representatives with UN grounds pass do not need to apply for a
    library
    pass since the grounds pass will allow them to use the UN Library.

Best regards,
    Dana Loytved

Senior Reference Librarian
    UN/SA Reference Desk
    United Nations Library, New York
    E-mail: [email protected]

• Five Gospels
    Five Gospels

Thanks for the clarification. This is helpful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit