A few Random Memorial Observations:

by zarco 6 Replies latest jw friends

• zarco
    zarco

John 3:16 was highlighted for several minutes by the speaker.

• The New World Translation: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
    • New Jerusalem Bible "Yes, God loved the world so much, that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him, may not die but have eternal life."

The obvious difference is that the speaker used John 3:16 as a “guilt trip” for those to do more…. “exercise faith” when the real meaning of the scripture seems much different.

The speaker noted several times that while Paul did not attend the original memorial celebration with Jesus, we typically follow his outline of the celebration in 1 Corinthians. Too bad someone didn’t have a chance to write down the real thing shortly after it happened :)

The speaker also mentioned how simple the celebration was and commented and apologized for how long it took to pass the emblems – two congregations met together. He is right that it is simple and takes too long. No doubt the original version was much more emotional and intimate, if it happened at all. It seems a shame that what should be a very powerful experience for believers is reduced to something devoid of emotion and meaning.

Passing the emblems took maybe a full 10 minutes. The speaker said nothing. I think the outline tells the speaker to say nothing, but good grief, can he tell some cool Jesus stories or something.

As others have noted, the songs are just awful. Someone took every last drop of fun and encouragement out of the songs and now everyone mumbles along… even worse than before.

We didn’t get love-bombed because a few friends cornered us and we caught up on old times and didn’t really talk about anything witness related.

Overall, it was less painful that I expected. I doubt we go next year. I feel tremendous pain for people that I care about who are stuck on the treadmill of the WTS. For a handful of folks that I really like, I want to grab their hand and help them run as far from the WTS as possible, but it is their life they live not mine.

All the best,

zarco

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks for the review.

I believe it was opitional as to whether the speaker would talk during the passing of "emblems" or not.

I'm soooo glad I didn't attend!

• Heaven
    Heaven

John 3:16 was highlighted for several minutes by the speaker.

• The New World Translation: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
    • New Jerusalem Bible "Yes, God loved the world so much, that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him, may not die but have eternal life."

I guess this means that millions of people who don't exercise faith and don't believe are toast then, including all the people born before Christ walked the Earth and before any of this was ever written. Wow, the Bible gives me so much hope.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Remeber in WTS speak that exercising faith means attending all the meetings and counting you time going door to door. Believing is never enough.

• Dark Lord of the Evil Slave Class
    Dark Lord of the Evil Slave Class

I was surprised that the number partaking last year was over 10,000. Huh? It was like around 4K about 10 years ago (if I am not mistaken). My wife and I looked each other in disbelief. How is that number getting bigger? LOL

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

"The speaker also mentioned how simple the celebration was and commented and apologized for how long it took to pass the emblems – two congregations met together."

I guess in my area there were THREE congregations that decided to meet together! Personally, I think two is the MAXIMUM that should ever meet together and, even then, only if they are small congregations! I'm sure that will all that blitz work they do of the territory, they probably had a decent amount of visitors....I can't possibly imagine how it could have taken place in a timely manner. Passing the emblems to THAT many people at once is just ridiculous IMO.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just got to reading this.

If you DO decide to go next year, you can come with us!

(We'll bring a Camelbak full of Cabernet.)

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit