30 years in the making

by RR 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RR
    RR

55 7/1 p. 411 par. 15 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit. This shows, among other things, that Christianity is not a denominational affair, that sects have nothing to do with it.

W atchtower June 1, 1985 pg. 30 par. 3,4.

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

• JWoods
    JWoods

So by all JW logic, then maybe any witness baptized before 1955 should be rebaptized by new denominational rules?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

That's awesome, RR. Internal consistency is not one of their strong points.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

That was pointed out to me as I was baptized before 1985. I was baptized in 1976, and I never dedicated myself to any organization.

I also remember being baptized in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit, something else that seems to have been dropped.

Didn't have a clue what I was doing or getting into. I know quite a few people baptized into the org back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, and they didn't have a clue either. You meet them and they have drifted away, with no understanding of what being baptized means to the core Witnesses who take this stuff more seriously.

We did that 70 questions thing by the late 70s, but I memorized all the answers. I have an eidetic memory for what I read, pretty much a cinch.

Before the questions, it was easy to get baptized. You just asked to be, and if you weren't doing anything particularly heinous, they dunked you.

They're making it harder and harder to get into that sheep fold, aren't they? Probably because they want to keep the riffraff like us out. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit