Did you enjoy being patronised at the memorial?

by highdose 8 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

I'm thinking of the last time i attended, must have been about 2 years ago. I went to a congo that i had moved out of about 5 months before. Hardly anyone in it had bothered to keep up with me and had mostly assumed that i had fallen away, cue shunning in the supermarket. The fact was i was activly attending another congregation.

When i went to this memorial i was bombarded with patronising dubs all trying to out do eachother in the "lets welcome back the fallen black sheep!" stakes. I hated it, seemed so stupid to me that they didn't even know why they hadn't seen me.

Come to think of it, i think maybe that was the begining of the end for me.

What about you? "its so good to see you here!" bla bla bla has this been your experiance?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Might be a fun gag to return after a time with stories of secret missionary work in Afghanistan or western China or something...

• Honesty
    Honesty

My last 'memorial' was in 2004. The J-dubs mostly ignored me and wouldn't make eye contact. My ex had already told them that I was exhibiting

an apostate attitude toward the slave.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Actually, I never had that problem. What I did find weird was how people who wouldn't greet you in the congregation would suddenly greet you at the big events like that. Never gave too much thought to it, though--just figured it was more of the usual hypocrisy...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'm attending and partaking tomorrow and going to a cong that I will not be known at so I will not be hanging around for any love bombing or patronizing, will be straight out at the end probably

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A good time to slip out is after the eating/drinking, while the speaker gives the sales pitch for next Sunday's meeting and the upcoming "special" talk.

• undercover
    undercover

I know the one thing that I've never experienced that I've heard others complain about hearing is: "We missed you!". No one has ever said that to me. Either they're smart enough to know how stupid that sounds or they really didn't miss me. (my guess is the latter one).

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

My experience has been in going to JW funerals and having to go to my "current" hall that I have not gone to in 8 years and people ask me what hall I go to now. I always would feel uncomfortable because I don't go to any. Sometimes I would rather be ignored- by the ones I wasn't close with anyway.

jada

My experience in attending the memorial is that I get lots of attention from the "sisters."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit