I got to apologize to a former Bible study

by JerkhovahsWitless 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

I spoke to someone who was my best friend almost 10 years ago when we were still kids (late teens and early 20s). He wasn't a JW, but unfortunately got interested in it due to me. I studied with him for a while and tried my hardest to pull him into the cult. In the end, after becoming an unbaptized publisher, he didn't stick around in the JWs, shunned me and my pleas to talk with him about what was going on, (I think that's a great thing to do to JWs, lol). Actually, I never really did find out exactly why he left the cult.

A few years went by and we did start talking online. He contacted me first and apologized for the way he treated me. He didn't really talk about JWs, which was good because I was still kind of in mentally and had hope for him to come back. Then after a while, we didn't talk much online. No real reason, probably just got busy with life.

So, since I've become complete apostate , I've been meaning to get in touch with him and apologize for trying to recruit him into a cult. Well, tonight I finally got to do it over the phone. I really wanted to face to face, but I wasn't sure if that'd happen, so I took my opportunity. It felt really good to get that off of my chest, but I still feel guilty over all the hell he went through with his "opposing family," (smart family that knew a cult when they saw one) and his struggle to overcome his "sins," which lead to all kinds of mental and emotional stress. He didn't hold a grudge against me and said he knew I was trying to recruit him because I cared about him.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to tell him and now he knows that I know Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. But, I still feel really bad for all the pain he went through from me trying to bring him in.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    He didn't hold a grudge against me and said he knew I was trying to recruit him because I cared about him.

Wow. This is a great thing. Congratulations to you both!

• alanv
    alanv

You need to remember that you were a victim as well. Your motive was good, because you believed you were doing the right thing.

My best friend got me into the organisation, but now 30 years later he is out and so am I. I don't feel anything but friendship with this guy, I am just so glad that he got out as well.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I love that story. I wish there were more like it.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit