ESCAPE - Great book to share with JW you know

by Albert Einstein 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Recently I bought a great book "ESCAPE" by Carolyn Jessop. This lady was born in a Fundamental Polygamist Mormon comunity and managed to escape with all her 8 kids in 2003. She wrote this book as her life story.

Its on one hand interesting to see how ridiculous the life in their community is and on the othe other hand its so similar to JW...

• discouraging higher education
    • believing everything out of their religion is satanic
    • blindly following what their "prophet" (FDS) says
    • women must be obedient to husbands in everything
    • spanking kids is following gods command
    • no holidays and no christmass

My wife still is a JW, but this book really is an eye opener for JW.

Its not "apostate", it is exposing "false religion", so there is nothing wrong for JW to read it - I strongly recommend this book if you want to help them to see how stupid some aspects of JW life is.

BTW - do you recommend some other books that JW would read, but could help them to wake up?

Albert

• garyneal
    garyneal

marking

I may consider this at a future date.

• Heaven
    Heaven

BTW - do you recommend some other books that JW would read, but could help them to wake up?

When my Mom was alive, I gave her "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" to read. She was quite annoyed with it. It made her think.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I have read it and I agree.

• carla
    carla

I always thought 1984 would be good for a jw to read but I think they must have been warned off about it. Romans & Galations would be a good read for them but they won't do that either!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Einstein: BTW - do you recommend some other books that JW would read, but could help them to wake up?

I hope the book helps wake up your wife, AE, but be aware that it could have a very different effect.

A few years ago I gave my JW mom a book to read about the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, hoping, like you, that it would spark a few synapses.

Instead, she told me that she was horrified at the terrible doings of the FLDS and was so grateful that she was in "The Truth," where such horrible things don't happen.

Sigh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit