Advise on housing contract

by acolytes 4 Replies latest jw friends

• acolytes
    acolytes

Hi

I would value your opinions on how best to handle a dilema I have with a rental contract I signed.

1-A year ago I agreed to let out a property I owned to a tennent. I spoke to the council and they said I was responsible for the water and sewage and so I areed to pay it. (Would I failed to understand that it was my responsibility to pay the council but I was entiltled to ask the tennent tp pay me these monies.

2-I also failed to take into consideration the basement , landing and hallways in working out the rent which is based on the KVM size of the house.

Therefore on point 2 alone he is paying me 25% less a month than the correct monthly rental-

By problem is legally I can give him notice and terminate the contract. Morally I was aware he and his family wanted to live in the house for many years. Now Iam thinking of writting to him and explaining the situation saying Iam happy to keep the monthly rental as agreed but I think it only fair he pays the water and sewage charges-

Do you think this is reasonable behaviour on my part.?

What would you do in my circumstances?

Acolytes

• under the radar
    under the radar

I know it's none of my business, but since you asked...

It appears that the mistakes in deciding what rent to charge were all your own. The renter signed the lease in good faith and you were happy with it at the time. It doesn't seem fair to change the terms now just because you have discovered you could or should have charged more. That said, there would seem to be nothing wrong with renegotiating the terms at the end of the initial lease. If it was open ended (no definite ending), then maybe you could notify the renter that you will keep things as originally agreed for some period (say, one year), but that after then the rent will need to be adjusted. If he wants to stay in the house, and you like having him as a renter, there should be no problem working out something satisfactory to both of you. Good luck!

• acolytes
    acolytes

Hi undertheradar

The end of the lease is 3 months notice by either party.

Iam however aware that the tennents are very happy and want to be their till death (Maybe 20-30years)

My predicament is Iam not prepard to have this contract run for another 20 years on this arrangement.

Iam prerard to continue with the rental we agreed. But I think it fair the tennent pay for the water and garbage collection.

Acolytes

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You’d be best to seek advice from a professional or governmental body that can give you legal advice.

• recovering
    recovering

First how long is your lease for ?

next you need to check and see if the law allows you to bill the tenent for the water bill I know that some jurisdictions do not

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit