Faith

by treadnh2o 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I was recently doing some personal reading when I came across this qote from an unnamed Jewish Rabbi, "There are times when we have questions we cannot answer, and the ultimate test of our faith is to believe that there IS an answer, even though we could never fathom what it might be".

I have been very content the last few years just recovering from the cult and have not been looking for something to replace it. The biggest reason I left was the fact that the JW's got so many initial beliefs incorrect, including the three "generation changes inthe last 20 years". Not knowing an answe to an question that could only be answered with speculation was not an issue for me.

This quote, whether you put stock in it or not, initiated me revisiting what beliefs I may or may not have. What I could not dispute was this Rabbi's definition of faith. I then reconfirmed what I do not miss, Jehovahs Witnesses have an answer for everything. Jehovah's Witnesses really don't need faith. They just need to accept the beliefs spelled out for them in the Watchtower.

When you consider their beliefs, ask yourself what questions can't they answer (I am not implying that any of their answers are logical).

They will tell you they don't know the day or the hour, However according to their interpretaion a day is equal to a thousand years with Jehovah, yet the "end is coming within (you fill in the blank here for whatever the generation may mean by the time you read this).

I guess this rant is just leading me to conclusionis that these people don't need faith because they claim to have all the answers.

I really don' t miss being a part of this religion,

Tread

• Heaven
    Heaven

the ultimate test of our faith is to believe that there IS an answer, even though we could never fathom what it might be".

I don't buy into the idea that we cannot ever fathom what the answers are. My parents used to try and use this philosophy on me when they didn't know the answers to my questions. "We aren't meant to know the answer" would be a common reply to me. That never satisfied me. My thoughts on this is that this is a cop-out; the lazy a$$ way to get you to go away and shut up. It garners an attitude of 'giving up'. I prefer to see if I can't find out or figure it out. For some of the harder questions, my view is, we just haven't figured the answers out yet.

I remember being told by JWs when I was (a lot) younger, that they could answer all my questions. They never have. My Father, who has been a baptized JW for over 20 years now, can't answer my questions either. As a matter of fact, he has his OWN questions that haven't been answered.

When someone says they can do something, and then fails to do so, what do you call this?

I really don' t miss being a part of this religion

I totally understand where you're coming from on this.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

"My Father, who has been a baptized JW for over 20 years now, can't answer my questions either. As a matter of fact, he has his OWN questions that haven't been answered."

I won't speak for your father but the point I was making was that most JW's think thay have an answer for everything, even of the reality is it is circular reasoning.

The mere thought of searching for the unaswerable, or more accurately the unprovable, is what is liberating about leaving this religion.

The term faith seems hollow for a group that truly beleives they have all the answers.

• acolytes
    acolytes

Hi treadnh20

An interesting thought from the Rabi. Personally I believe there is an answer for everything. The only problem is we cannot fathom the question.

Acolytes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit