Things are getting better? Tell me that's not true! My foundation's crumbling.

by FatFreek 2005 4 Replies latest social current

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I know, it's been years since I've been on the outside looking in. Years since I've actually paged through my latest issue of Awake!, poring over the "Watching the World" section, taking the pulse on how bad the world is getting. That way, when I got to my next door in field service I could give the poor uninformed householder a good heads-up, full of the latest facts on how close the end really is.

This morning I checked out my WT CD Library and was not disappointed. More discouraging news, exactly what I had counted on. Exactly what I had learned to rely on for my 19 years of being a JW.

*** Awake!, 2003, 7/8 p. 5 Why So Many Violent Crimes Now? ***
    Why So Many Violent Crimes Now?
    ALL crimes are evil. But mindless or purposeless crimes are harder to understand. The fact that they are often without an obvious motive baffles investigators. With mass communication becoming much more effective in recent years, such appalling crimes are known to millions, or even billions, within hours. A report published by the World Health Organization states that "violence leaves no continent, no country and few communities untouched."

But, wait! Secular news sources are obviously trying to muddy the waters of AWAKE! with reports that things are actually getting better as respects certain crimes and horrific events. First, this next report from the Boston Globe tells us (shudder) how crime has been going down. That, and my latest issue of TIME confirmed that this obvious hogwash is true.

In 2009, crime went down. In fact it's been going down for a decade. But more and more Americans believe it's getting worse. Why do we refuse to believe the good news? ...
    Across the country, FBI data show that crime last year fell to lows unseen since the 1960s - part of a long trend that has seen crime fall steeply in the United States since the mid-1990s. ...
    Take murder. The murder rate rose and fell over the 20th century, climbing to an early peak in 1933, then dropping sharply and staying low through the Depression, World War II, and into the 1960s. It rose to a record level in 1974, broke that record in 1980, and stayed prodigiously bloody through the early ’90s. This is when Bill Clinton boosted funding for local police forces, and police began experimenting with radical new approaches to policing, such as those employed in the so-called Boston Miracle. In 1994, the murder rate started to fall, and it’s been falling ever since. Rape, robbery, and aggravated assault have dropped along with it. Last year was no exception. According to preliminary FBI data, the murder rate dropped 10 percent from 2008 to 2009, robbery fell 6.5 percent, aggravated assault fell 3.2 percent, auto theft was down a whopping 18.7 percent.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/02/14/imaginary_fiends/

To shake my foundations even further, yesterday it was announced that highway deaths have gone down again, The U.S. Department of Transportation reported Thursday that the number of traffic fatalities in 2009 fell to the lowest level since 1954, declining for the 15th straight quarter. ...

The department put the year's death count at just under 34,000, a drop of about 9 percent from the 37,000-plus deaths in 2008. ..

The fatality rate for 2009 also fell to the lowest on record -- 1.16 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20100312/NEWS01/703129893

Does that mean I can't trust AWAKE!, that bastion of christian vigilance, any longer? If a fellow can't trust AWAKE!, what can he trust?
    Len

• Terry
    Terry

Before having lunch with a fellow I grew up with who is still a devout JW I jotted down some statistics on a piece of paper.

During the course of lunch I told my friend I had looked up the statistics on certain crimes such as kidnapping, murder, etc. and thought

it might be fun to have him guess the per centages just based on his SUPER INTELLIGENCE and knowledge of the world situation!

(Nice sneaky set-up, eh?)

Well, I wasn't disappointed in the least.

The JW's percentages were never less than ten times worse than the actual statistics! Yes, on everything.

In some cases he was off a thousand per cent!

Can there be any doubt why his hyper-awareness of all things evil had been badly mis-programmed toward extremes?

The Watchtower can't push an End Times without FEAR and trembling. So, they just lie, exaggerate and filter out all the good.

I once asked my friend about all those dire quotations in the TRUTH THAT LEADS TO ETERNAL LIFE about how there would be worldwide famine in 1975 and so much violence in the streets ...etc.

He shrugged it off.

Didn't bother him at all.

He couldn't relate.

You know why?

He no longer possessed a vocabulary for describing reality as it is!

His vocabulary had been replaced (like those seed pods in Body Snatchers) with alien definitions which matched an alien world of Watchtower descriptions!

He viewed everything through a distorted map of false-reality.

My crime statistics did not match HIS WORLD at all---so, he merely dismissed it all!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

The Watchtower can't push an End Times without FEAR and trembling. So, they just lie, exaggerate and filter out all the good.

Amen, bro Terry.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@Terry!!..

Nice set up..

To bad it was lost on someone,with no brain..

......................... ...OUTLAW

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Why look forward to a new colorful world unless the WTS paints the current world black.

After a visit from Mexico my spouse was amazed that the local bus driver had all of his currency in the open. Where were the criminals at to steal from these bus drivers?

I was told that everyone in New York were muggers. On our visit to New York, we were in fear, but later came to realize that not everyone is a mugger in New York.

Granted that this world has problems, but not the way the WTS continually portrays it. Does that mean that the end is not just around the corner as I always heard for some 30 years from the WTS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit