Do they still teach them to Discipline their children?

by Snoozy 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I was reading some older posts on a thread about Beating your children. I noticed some on there commented that the witnesses no longer teach that.

They did however say that the fact to not "Spare the rod" is handed down to the next generation.

Anyone have the current teaching of the witnesses on this?

A funny thing I read in the thread was an example the WTBTS gave of how animals discipline their kids..they spank them..for thier own good!

I have never seen an animal "Spank their young" Still laughing over that remark.

Snoozy

• yknot
    yknot

*** w08 4/1 p. 14 Raising Children in a Permissive World ***
    No wonder, then, that Proverbs 13:24 says: “The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.” In this context, the rod of discipline represents a means of correction, whatever form it may take. By administering loving discipline, a parent seeks to correct faults that if they were to become deeply rooted, would cause the child much misery in adult life. Truly, withholding such discipline amounts to hate; administering it is an act of love

*** w06 11/1 p. 5 Reliable Advice for Raising Children ***
    On Discipline:
    Dr. James Dobson wrote in The Strong-Willed Child (1978): “Corporal punishment in the hands of a loving parent is a teaching tool by which harmful behavior is inhibited.” On the other hand, in an article adapted from the seventh edition of the popular book Baby and Child Care (1998), Dr. Benjamin Spock said: “Spanking teaches children that the larger, stronger person has the power to get his way, whether or not he is in the right.”
    With regard to discipline, the Bible states: “The rod and reproof are what give wisdom.” (Proverbs 29:15) However, not all children need physical punishment. Proverbs 17:10 tells us: “A rebuke works deeper in one having understanding than striking a stupid one a hundred times.”

*** w04 7/15 p. 31 “Everyone Shrewd Will Act With Knowledge” ***
    “Look for Him With Discipline”
    Imperfect people need discipline, and they need it from childhood onward. “The one holding back his rod is hating his son,” says the king of Israel, “but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.”—Proverbs 13:24.
    A rod is a symbol of authority. At Proverbs 13:24, it refers to parental authority. In this context, employing the rod of discipline does not necessarily mean spanking a child. Rather, it represents the means of correction, whatever form it may take. In one case, a rebuke kindly given to a child may be sufficient to correct improper behavior. Another child may require a stronger reproof. “A rebuke works deeper in one having understanding than striking a stupid one a hundred times,” says Proverbs 17:10.

• tec
    tec

Its been almost two years since I stopped my bible study, but I was taught that some parents use spanking as discipline and some don't. It is the choice of the parent.

T

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It was a different story back when they weren't afraid of lawsuits..

Thanks for the updates..

Snoozy

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Many parents of all walks of life still spank their kids. For excellent reasons NOT to use corporal punishment, check out this site.

• pirata
    pirata

When I was a kid, kids in the hall used to get spanked all the time for making sounds or being naughty. I see much less of that now.

The phrase "use the rod" for years was taken to be giving your kid a good whack when he or she "misbehaves". Now it more popular to think of the "rod" as a "staff" that the shepherd uses to guide the sheep by gently tapping them so that they don't stray from the flock.

It's interesting how the current view of discipline in society can affect how one reads the scriptures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit