Applying for parole in prison

by poopsiecakes 4 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Here are the basic procedures if a prisoner wants to apply for parole. The similarities to requesting reinstatement are quite remarkable, don't you think?

About six months before the first date at which you can be released (i.e. your PED (parole eligibility date)) the prison will give you a form. This will ask you whether you want to apply for early release. If you decide to apply, a review will start.

• The prison will put together a file of papers about you, the crimes you have committed, how you have spent your time in prison and your plans on release. This file is called the "dossier".
    • When the dossier is ready, you will be given it to read and you can add on anything you want to say in writing. Your part of the dossier is called "the prisoner's representations". Many prisoners ask their solicitor to help them.
    • When everything is in the dossier, three members of the Parole Board (often called "the panel") will meet to discuss your application for release. The Parole Board is not part of the Prison Service or the Ministry of Justice and makes its own decisions. The panel will be looking at how high they think the risk is that you might commit offences on licence, and whether it is best for you and the public for you to be released.

Does anyone else think that the WTS used these guidelines in setting up their rules on reinstatement?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Big difference: I think a parole hearing is a public record, you can bring a lawyer, and you already know what you're guilty of.

A JC is a "star chamber" hearing, no one knows what was said, you don't necessarily know what your crime was, and if they can't make the first charge stick they can always find another one.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hey JeffT, I was thinking along the basic principles - the prisoner has to have proven exemplary behavior, the panel decides whether or not they are repentant (therefore non-recidivist) and once parole is granted, they are on probation for a period of time.

I totally agree that real life prisoners have rights that df'd people don't have, but I couldn't help notice some basic similarities and it occurred to me that - since the WTS has no biblical basis for the reinstatement procedure, they had to get their wild ideas somewhere.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

Was this thread inspired by my comment on your other thread?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/190071/1/The-most-despised-group

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Nope, I was watching Shawshank Redemption actually and my brain went another way...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit