Pedophilia Cases-Vatican 1/8/02

by Seven 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seven
    Seven

I received this article via email and thought it may be of interest to some here.

WIRE: 01/08/2002 3:20 pm ET Vatican quietly moves to centralize control of pedophilia cases in church worldwideThe Associated Press
    VATICAN CITY (AP) The Vatican has come up with new guidelines for the Roman Catholic Church to handle pedophilia accusations against priests, ordering church officials worldwide to inform it swiftly of such cases and declaring them subject to secrecy. Promoted by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the rules were approved by Pope John Paul II, who in the past has expressed solidarity with the victims of sexual abuse by clergy. The guidelines, which are apparently aimed at centralizing Vatican control over such cases, are intended for use by Catholic dioceses and religious institutions and do not apply to government inquiries or prosecutions. Written in Latin and prepared several months ago, the church rules were quietly published in the Holy See's official gazette. They surfaced Tuesday in the newly printed 2001 yearbook of Vatican documents. Pedophilia cases have been a major headache for the Catholic church. Besides the sting of moral scandal, dioceses in the United States and other countries have had to deal with expensive claims for financial damages. The new guidelines came as a letter by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, a close aide of John Paul and the guardian of doctrinal orthodoxy. He wrote that pedophile cases were subject to pontifical secrecy. Only priests should handle such cases, including those serving as judges, prosecutor or defense advocate in church tribunals. He also said victims must make their accusations within 10 years after turning 18. The Vatican urged local church officials to act swiftly where there is "at least probable knowledge of a grave crime." The letter didn't spell out what sanctions could be taken against priests suspected or proven of being pedophiles, but their removal from the clerical ranks is a possibility. In 1994, at the request of U.S. church officials, the Vatican approved policy for handling pedophilia cases in the United States. The 2001 policy "incorporates the major points" of the American policy, said a spokesman for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Monsignor Francis Maniscalco. Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• LDH
    LDH

I was just thinking of you today and wondering if you were ok.

Lisa

• Simon
    Simon

Not related to the message but I like how you included:

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Reminds me of how Angharad copied a game for me once and even photocopied the manual including the page all about copyright and how software should not be copied, LOL.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

More centralization, just what the Catholic Church needs. We don't as Catholics, have a spotless record on the issue of handling Pedophile cases, but we are getting better. I take this as the church trying to standardize how the cases are handled throughout the church. I STRONGLY believe that all credible accusations be turned over to law enforcement whether you be Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, or a Pediatrician. (Pediatricians, by percentage, have the highest occurence of pedophiles within all professions, SCARY!)

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy 7,

Thanks for the information. I took out of it what I thought were the pertinent points - and their stand doesn't look much different than the WTBTS's stand. Secrecy, contact headquarters immediately, priests/elders handle secretly & swiftly.

LOL, victims who remember at age 29 or older are screwed once again. It also didn't spell out consequences for the molestor/rapist.

ordering church officials worldwide to inform it swiftly of such cases and declaring them subject to secrecy.

Written in Latin and prepared several months ago, the church rules were quietly published in the Holy See's official gazette.

Besides the sting of moral scandal, dioceses in the United States and other countries have had to deal with expensive claims for financial damages

He wrote that pedophile cases were subject to pontifical secrecy. Only priests should handle such cases, including those serving as judges, prosecutor or defense advocate in church tribunals. He also said victims must make their accusations within 10 years after turning 18.

The letter didn't spell out what sanctions could be taken against priests suspected or proven of being pedophiles, but their removal from the clerical ranks is a possibility.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Wow! Good thing you *copied* it!

waiting

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Waiting,

You missed a key point. The guy with the pointy hat has incorporated the major points that the American Catholics developed. That is the key. One part has to do with the setting up a committee that kicks out a priest but the other parts (not mentioned in the AP story) deal with reporting this crap to the authorities etc.

Every large corporation and the governments (where I work) need these policies in place to show a certain minimum level of policy on how to handle the cases. What the Vat. has done is basically take the American church policy and make it world wide to protect itself.

hawk

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Hawk,

The Vatican has come up with new guidelines for the Roman Catholic Church to handle pedophilia accusations against priests, ordering church officials worldwide to inform it swiftly of such cases and declaring them subject to secrecy.

You're right - I didn't pick up the point that this was now their "worldwide policy."

One part has to do with the setting up a committee that kicks out a priest but the other parts (not mentioned in the AP story) deal with reporting this crap to the authorities etc.
    You're right again - these parts were not mentioned in the AP story; but would have been well worth mentioning.

waiting

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You're not suprised that AP forgot to mention this important fact, are you?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit