Has the WTS changed the 'Disaster Relief Fund' procedures to benefit the printing work?

by dissed 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dissed
    dissed

Back in my time, when a disaster occured, a person could send money designated for that purpose to the WTS and we were promised all would be sent to that entity. (like an earthquake in Italy) In fact, this was a 'boasting preaching point'. The WTS would spend 100% of the funds for that purpose, unlike some organizations that would keep some for other purposes and send some for the actual relief.

Recently I saw where someone who wanted to send money for Haiti relief was told to send money to the 'Worldwide Fund' and the GB would decide how best to use it. If it is the arangement now, this is new to me. But how convenient, no? Something bad happens, perhaps millions could be sent in, and only a little is actually used for the intended contribution.

Your heart moves you to send money for a much needed cause like Haiti relief, and you have to trust the GB as to where it goes. So can they really trust them? To an active JW, they would never question the GB, but looking over this financial report of the Great Brittain Branch, you will notice a couple things of interest, when it comes to 'Disaster Relief'.

First they kept on hand 146,000 for relief and second, they only spent 46,000 pounds in the calendar year 0f 2008. After seeing they had recieved 10's of millions in contributions and investments, and spent 10's of millions for printing and building, 46,000 was very little. Yet I noticed they respond quickly with help, boast about it, but in reality spend very little.

What's your take and is this the new arrangement?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/ScannedAccounts/Ends61/0001077961_ac_20080831_e_c.pdf

• blondie
  • dissed
    dissed

Thanks Blondie, I checked the sources and yes, they have definately changed the program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit