The view on abortion, website article

by Lekore 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lekore
    Lekore

Just for fun I decided to have a quick look on the WT website and the first article was of abortion and why it is wrong... http://www.watchtower.org/e/200906/article_01.htm

What really suprised me is the lack of any scriptual support that the religion used here, normally persuasive arguments are flooded with verses and religious examples. Linked with this, I think it's interesting that so many "studies" here are used to support accounts of mental trauma from abortion when I was under the impression that the WTO was far from scientific. By reason and studies we can also argue for the big bang and evolution, so what type of scientific research falls within the guidelines for the WT to agree with?

What is strange is that we can only assume that trauma from abortion is socially constructed, it's still heavily stigmatised and ofcourse people are going to suffer mentally from it. The misconception from the religion is that this is some kind of "natural" response, when in fact this is something that can change! The first example in the article is horrific in that it shows the male dominance in the religion, "oh woe is the man that doesn't have to carry the baby or care for it all since that's what Eve was put on this earth to do." No mention of how rape victims may have even more trauma from looking at a child which is the manifestation of what happened.

This got me very annoyed as you can see but please offer some comments or things you noticed about the article. Please also contribute any religious support the WTBT$ may have used in other articles.

• alanv
    alanv

There is a Question from readers about abortion in the 15th March 1975 Watchtower pages 191-192. In it they cite Exodus 21:22-25 which implies if you take a life even of an unborn child then the punishment is death.

• Lekore
    Lekore

There is a Question from readers about abortion in the 15th March 1975 Watchtower pages 191-192. In it they cite Exodus 21:22-25 which implies if you take a life even of an unborn child then the punishment is death.

I bet that reader wished they never asked! Do you remember how they reconciled not putting people to death now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit