CHRISTIAN BY DIVINE PROVIDENCE

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

The following information looks at the use of the descriptor "Christian" and "Jehovah's Witness". Reference is made to information published by the WTBTS, as is information in Wikipedia. A discussion ensues at the end.

Insight Vol I - ChristianPublished in 1988
    The Latinized Greek term Khri·sti·a·nos′, found only three times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, designates followers of Christ Jesus, the exponents of Christianity.—Ac 11:26; 26:28; 1Pe 4:16.

“It was first in Antioch [Syria] that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.” (Ac 11:26) It is possible, then, that this name was used as early as the year 44 C.E. when the events surrounding this text occurred, although the grammatical structure of this phrase does not necessarily make it so; some think it was a little later. At any rate, by about 58 C.E., in the city of Caesarea, the term was well known and used even by public officials, for at that time King Herod Agrippa II said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.”—Ac 26:28.

Bible writers in addressing fellow believers or describing followers of Christ used expressions such as “believers in the Lord,” “brothers” and “disciples” (Ac 5:14; 6:3; 15:10), “chosen ones” and “faithful ones” (Col 3:12; 1Ti 4:12), “slaves to God” and “slaves of Christ Jesus” (Ro 6:22; Php 1:1), “holy ones,” “congregation of God,” and “those who call upon the Lord.” (Ac 9:13; 20:28; 1Co 1:2; 2Ti 2:22) These terms with doctrinal meaning were used primarily as internal congregational designations. To outsiders Christianity was referred to as “The Way” (Ac 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4), and opponents called it “the sect of the Nazarenes” or just “this sect.”—Ac 24:5; 28:22.

It was first in Syrian Antioch that Christ’s followers became known as Christians. It is most unlikely that the Jews first styled Jesus’ followers “Christians” (Greek) or “Messianists” (Hebrew), for they would not reject Jesus as being the Messiah, or Christ, and then tacitly recognize him as the Anointed One, or Christ, by stamping his followers “Christians.” Some think the heathen population may have nicknamed them Christians out of jest or scorn, but the Bible shows that it was a God-given name; they “were by divine providence called Christians.”—Acts 11:26.

The Greek verb khre·ma·ti′zo (χρηματίσαι - "style divinely" in Kingdom Interlinear) in this text is generally rendered simply “were called,” and that is what is done at Acts 11:26 in most translations. However, there are translations that indicate that God had something to do with selecting the name ‘Christian.’ Noteworthy in this regard are the New World Translation, Young’s Literal Translation, and The Simple English Bible. Young’s reads: “The disciples also were divinely called first in Antioch Christians.”

The Greek word khre·ma·ti′zo as used in the Christian Greek Scriptures is always associated with something supernatural, oracular, or divine.

• Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, in its Greek dictionary (1890, p. 78), defines it as “to utter an oracle . . . i.e. divinely intimate.”
    • Edward Robinson’s Greek and English Lexicon (1885, p. 786) gives the meaning: “Spoken in respect to a divine response, oracle, declaration, to give response, to speak as an oracle, to warn from God.”
    • Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (1889, p. 671): “to give a divine command or admonition, to teach from heaven . . . to be divinely commanded, admonished, instructed . . . to be the mouthpiece of divine revelations, to promulge the commands of God.”
    • Thomas Scott in his Explanatory Notes on this text (1832, Vol. III, p. 419) says: “The word implies that this was done by divine revelation: for it has generally this signification in the New Testament, and is rendered ‘warned from God’ or ‘warned of God,’ even when there is no word for GOD in the Greek.”
    • Concerning Acts 11:26, Clarke’s Commentary says: “The word [khre·ma·ti′sai] in our common text, which we translate were called, signifies in the New Testament, to appoint, warn, or nominate, by Divine direction. In this sense, the word is used, Matt. ii. 12 . . . If, therefore, the name was given by Divine appointment, it is most likely that Saul and Barnabas were directed to give it; and that, therefore, the name Christian is from God.”—See Mt 2:12, 22; Lu 2:26; Ac 10:22; Ro 7:3, Int; Heb 8:5; 11:7; 12:25, where this Greek verb occurs.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Proclaimers of God's KingdomPublished in 1993
    (Referring to the 1931 Convention in Columbus, Ohio)Chapter 7 - pages 79/82

"'You are my witnesses,' is the utterance of Jehovah, 'and I am God.'" (Isa. 43:12). Starting in the 1920's, te Bible Students became increasingly aware of the deep significance of these words of the prophet Isaiah. Through the pages of The Watch Tower, attention was repeatedly drawn to our responsibility to bear witness to Jehovah's name and his Kingdom A milestone, though, was reached at a convention held in Columbus, Ohio, in 1931.

From one o'clock when the public discourse was finished, until four o'clock, when Brother Rutherford reentered the auditorium, the atmosphere was charged with excitement. Brother Rutherford had specially requested that everyone who was really interested in the noonday warning to Christendom be in his seat at four o'clock.

Promptly at four, Brother Rutherford began by stating that he regarded what he was about to say as of vital importance to everyone who could hear his voice. His listeners were keenly interested. During his discourse he presented another resolution,, this one entitled "A New Name," which was climaxed by the declaration: "We desire to be known as and called by the name, to wit, Jehovah's witnesses." The thrilled conventioners again jumped to their feet with the ringing shout "Aye!" They would henceforth be known as Jehovah's Witnesses!

Bearing Thorough Witness - Chapter 9Published in 2009
    Sending “a Relief Ministration” (Acts 11:26b-30)

22 It was first in Antioch that “the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.” (Acts 11:26b) That God-approved name aptly describes those whose way of life is modeled on that of Christ.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Franklin_RutherfordHis early presidency was marked by a dispute with the Society's board of directors, in which four of its seven members accused him of autocratic behavior and sought to reduce his powers. The resulting leadership crisis divided the Bible Student community and contributed to the loss of one seventh of adherents by 1919 and thousands more by 1931. P.S.L. Johnson, The Present Truth and Herald of Christ's Epiphany, April 1927, p. 66: "Since the Fall of 1923 ... from 20,000 to 30,000 Truth people the world over have left the Society."

At a 1931 Bible Student assembly in Columbus, Ohio Rutherford proposed a new name for the organization, Jehovah's witnesses, to differentiate them from the proliferation of other groups that followed Russell's teachings.[92] Bible Students who opposed or abandoned Rutherford to form new groups were increasingly described as the "evil servant class" by The Watchtower, which said it was wrong to pray for those who were "unfaithful".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_WitnessesThe name Jehovah's witnesses, based on Isaiah 43:10–12,[12] was adopted in 1931 to distinguish themselves from other Bible Student groups and symbolize a break with the legacy of Russell's traditions.

DISCUSSION

The translation of the Greek verb khre·ma·ti′zo as "by divine providence called" is unique to the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. It has been translated as such from the beginning (1953) up to and including the recent 2013 revision. An examination of translations via Biblegateway shows that they all translate khre·ma·ti′zo simply as "called" (except Young's).

The Insight Vol 1 does seem to ably augment the rationale for the NWT's rendition by having several evidentiary references (rare practice for the WTBTS). The Insight Volume was published in 1988 - over 25 years after the "divine providence" phrase was first used. The phrase "by divine providence called Christians" has been in print in the NWT for over 60 years now.More recently, the Bearing Thorough Witness text (published in 2009) briefly but eloquently states regarding Acts 11:26 - "That God-approved name aptly describes those whose way of life is modeled on that of Christ." This text thus affirms the use of the descriptor - Christian - as being divinely approved. Perhaps this is also a reflection of the fact that God's thoughts are higher than the thoughts of men (Isa. 55:8,9), including the thinking of a man which gave rise to the decision in 1931 in the first place.

When one examines the history behind the use of the descriptor "Jehovah's Witnesses" in the Proclaimers' book, there is a contrasting paucity of information in general, and evidentiary references in particular, concerning the reasons leading to the convention decision to adopt the aforementioned. This text states that "Through the pages of The Watch Tower, attention was repeatedly drawn to our responsibility to bear witness to Jehovah's name". No particular Watchtower magazines are either quoted or cited in order to underpin such a claim. Rather, Wikipedia alleges that the reason for the adoption of the descriptor was to "differentiate them from the proliferation of other groups that followed Russell's teachings ... and symbolize a break with the legacy of Russell's traditions". It also alludes to the need of Rutherford to stem the exodus of people from the organisation following the leadership schisms.

Institutional politicing rather than spiritual yearning\growth\light may have been the rationale for the adoption of the JW descriptor. The authority for this adoption is weak in that the Proclaimer's book focuses solely on the Columbus Ohio convention of 1931 and does not mention any other conventions at other venues where there was such enthusiastic "Aye(s)" for this decision. Thus, a far reaching decision was made by one gathering in 1931 and which has had very significant impact upon 7 to 8 million folks today. There is no recorded discussion of the choice in 1931 needing to be reviewed when the NWT was published with it's rendering of Acts 11:26 in the early 60's.

IMPACT OF THIS SHORT STUDY.....

The apostle Paul was the beneficiary of a direct post resurrection communication from Jesus. Jesus explained to Ananias that Paul was chosen to "...make my name known to Gentiles and kings and to the people of Israel" (Acts 9:15 - TEV). This is clear evidence that Jesus' name was to be known to his followers. Subsequently, Paul was inspired to write that "... in honour of the name of Jesus all beings in heaven, on earth, and in the world below will fall on their knees, and all will openly proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Php. 2:10,11 TEV). Thus, it can be reasoned that by being known by the descriptor "Christian", first, foremost, and only, we are demonstrating our convergence with scripture on the one hand, and on the other hand, placing the decisions of man and his institutions much lower down the ladder of priorities.

"There is one God and one Mediator between God and us - the man Jesus, God's Anointed, who gave His life as a ransom for all so that we might have freedom." (1 Tim. 2:5,6 - The Voice Translation). Therefore, an individual may discern a need to identify with Jesus the Mediator and seek every opportunity to avoid being a follower of men by acquiescing with the tendency of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses to glorify THEMSELVES rather than be be discreet and slave like. This self glorification is escalating gradually in that they are increasingly exploiting technology to reach into congregations directly and show themselves on marketing objects for "Regional" conventions. They are determined that we know who they are and the authority they have. (In reality, a genuine slave only has authority to serve, not to subordinate).

"Let us not lose sight of Jesus, who leads us in our faith and brings it to perfection..." (Heb. 12:2 - The Jerusalem Bible). This is put beautifully in this translation. Thus, why would an individual defer to the strong personality of a leader in the 1930's regarding the adoption of a descriptor / title or similarly obdurate collective human leadership today when Jesus is taking the lead?

In reviewing this history, I have resolved to refer to myself as a Christian only. In so doing, I would reason that I am honouring the Father via honouring his Son (John 5:23). There is the authority of scripture behind such a decision. I do not have to describe myself as a Jehovah's Witness in order to continue to keep the Father's name sanctified. There's more to it than that. I will use Acts 11:26 and the information in the Bearing Thorough Witness text and the Insight volume to augment my decision. If individuals in positions of authority react adversely to this and seek to expel me, then that may be a millstone that they will have to wear round their necks. For me, I am free! "So if the Son sets you free, you will be truly free." (John 8:36 - NWT 2013 ed).

The decision reached in 1931 by attenders at the Columbus Ohio convention, was not repeated at other conventions that I can discern. Therefore, I cannot work out how the vote of such a minority so long ago, should qualify for continued legitimacy of adoption in 2015. I cannot find evidence that the decision then was from God (in reality from the strong personality of J. F. Rutherford) or democratic.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    Marked for later reading when I have more time
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Rutherford selected one Hebrew scripture for his re-branding strategy - thereby denying every Christian scripture which commanded Christians to witness for Christ!

Every JW has been deluded into being "witnesses for Jehovah", when there is not a single verse directing Christians to do so!

Matt. 10:18; Mark 13:9;

Luke 24:47,48; Acts 1:8;

John 1:15; John 5:37;

John 8:18; John 15:26,27;

Acts 10:39; Acts 10:43;

Acts 13:31; Acts 22:15;

Acts 22:20; Acts 23:11;

Acts 26:16; 1 Cor. 1:6;

1 Tim. 2:6,7; 2 Tim. 1:8;

1 John 5:9; Rev. 1:9;

Rev. 12:17; Rev. 17:6;

Rev. 19:10; Rev. 20:4.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The translation of the Greek verb khre·ma·ti′zo as "by divine providence called" is unique to the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. It has been translated as such from the beginning (1953) up to and including the recent 2013 revision. An examination of translations via Biblegateway shows that they all translate khre·ma·ti′zo simply as "called" (except Young's).

In this case, the NWT appears to be giving a translation that brings in the flavor of the word, and in this case, I agree with the translation. From Strong's Exhaustive Concordance:

From chrema; to utter an oracle (compare the original sense of chraomai), i.e. Divinely intimate; by implication, (compare the secular sense of chreia) to constitute a firm for business, i.e. (generally) bear as a title -- be called, be admonished (warned) of God, reveal, speak.

Also, see here and here for other interesting writeups about this.

In reviewing this history, I have resolved to refer to myself as a Christian only.

Rutherford selected one Hebrew scripture for his re-branding strategy - thereby denying every Christian scripture which commanded Christians to witness for Christ!

Yes, and the verse Rutherford chose was there for a particular purpose. A reading of Isaiah 43 shows what that is. It was not to be a name for a religious organization, otherwise, the Israelites would have been called "Jehovah's witnesses" 2500 years ago.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

For those interested, I just had occasion to research this subject more closely. My purpose in posting here is not to counter the OP's fine points, but rather, to expose some of the WT's (read Insight publication) deceptive research.

The OP correctly lists these references given in the Insight book (Vol I, p. 440)

The Greek word khre·ma·ti′zo as used in the Christian Greek Scriptures is always associated with something supernatural, oracular, or divine.
    • Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, in its Greek dictionary (1890, p. 78), defines it as “to utter an oracle . . . i.e. divinely intimate.”
    • Edward Robinson’s Greek and English Lexicon (1885, p. 786) gives the meaning: “Spoken in respect to a divine response, oracle, declaration, to give response, to speak as an oracle, to warn from God.”
    • Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (1889, p. 671): “to give a divine command or admonition, to teach from heaven . . . to be divinely commanded, admonished, instructed . . . to be the mouthpiece of divine revelations, to promulge the commands of God.”
    • Thomas Scott in his Explanatory Notes on this text (1832, Vol. III, p. 419) says: “The word implies that this was done by divine revelation: for it has generally this signification in the New Testament, and is rendered ‘warned from God’ or ‘warned of God,’ even when there is no word for GOD in the Greek.”
    • Concerning Acts 11:26, Clarke’s Commentary says: “The word [khre·ma·ti′sai] in our common text, which we translate were called, signifies in the New Testament, to appoint, warn, or nominate, by Divine direction. In this sense, the word is used, Matt. ii. 12 . . . If, therefore, the name was given by Divine appointment, it is most likely that Saul and Barnabas were directed to give it; and that, therefore, the name Christian is from God.”—See Mt 2:12, 22; Lu 2:26; Ac 10:22; Ro 7:3, Int; Heb 8:5; 11:7; 12:25, where this Greek verb occurs.

(All the underlining above is Bobcat's to highlight which references are being quoted from.)

In all of these quoted references (except Scott's) there is a certain amount of scholastic deception. Each one actually has the words quoted, but the quoting is often out of context or contrary to the author's intention. For example:

The definition in Strong's Exhaustive Greek Dictionary actually reads (can be seen online here):

5537. chrematizo khray-mat-id'-zo from 5536; to utter an oracle (compare the original sense of 5530), i.e. divinely intimate; by implication, (compare the secular sense of 5532) to constitute a firm for business, i.e. (generally) bear as a title:--be called, be admonished (warned) of God, reveal, speak.

I underlined the Insight book's quoted part. You will notice that the quotation leaves out the part of the definition, "to constitute a firm for business, i.e. (generally) bear as a title:--be called"

Strong's Expanded Dictionary of Bible Words 'expands' on Strong's, giving this definition with regard to "were called" in Acts 11:26 and Rom 7:3 -

(4) Occasionally it means "to be called or named", (4a) Rom 7:3; and (4b) Acts 11:26, of the name "Christians." Its primary significance, to have business dealings with," led to this. They "were (publicly) called" Christians, because this was their chief business, following the Christ.

Edward Robinson's Lexicon is also quoted (can be downloaded as a PDF here; see p. 898 in the PDF for the definition). The part that the Insight book quotes is given in Robinson's lexicon as definition "a." But Robinson lists Acts 11:26 under definition "b," which reads:

b) In the later Greek usage, i. q. < to do business under any name, as any one ;' hence genr. to take or bear a name, to be named, called, constr. with the name in apposit. Acts xi. 26 . . . Rom. vii. 3 Jos. Ant. 13. 11:3

It is exactly the same with Thayer's Lexicon. The Insight book quotes from Thayer's definition "2." But Thayer himself places the verb "were called" in Acts 11:26 under his definition "3." Here is Thayer's complete definition (which can be seen here, scroll down a little):

1. "to transact business, especially to manage public affairs; to advise or consult with one about public affairs; to make answer to those who ask advice, present inquiries or requests," etc.; used of judges, magistrates, rulers, kings. Hence, in some later Greek writings,

2. to give a response to those consulting an oracle (Diodorus 3, 6; 15, 10; Plutarch, mor., p. 435 c. (i. e. de defect. oracc. 46); several times in Lucian); hence, used of God in Josephus, Antiquities 5, 1, 14; 10, 1, 3; 11, 8, 4; universally, (dropping all reference to a previous consultation), to give a divine command or admonition, to teach from heaven ((Jeremiah 32:16 ())): with a dative of the person Job 40:3; passive followed by an infinitive (A. V. revealed etc.), Luke 2:26 (χρηματίζειν λόγους πρός τινα, Jeremiah 37:2 ()); passive, to be divinely commanded, admonished, instructed (R. V. warned of God), Matthew 2:12, 22; Acts 10:22; Hebrews 8:5; Hebrews 11:7 (this passive use is hardly found elsewhere except in Josephus, Antiquities 3, 8, 8; (11, 8, 4); cf. Buttmann, § 134, 4; (Winers Grammar, § 39, 1 a.)); to be the mouthpiece of divine revelations, to promulge the commands of God, (τίνι, Jeremiah 33:2 (); Jeremiah 36:23 (): of Moses, Hebrews 12:25 (R. V. warned).

3. to assume or take to oneself a name from one's public business (Polybius, Diodorus, Plutarch, others); universally, to receive a name or title, be called: Acts 11:26; Romans 7:3 (Josephus, Antiquities (8, 6, 2); 13, 11, 3; b. j. 2, 18, 7; (c. Apion. 2, 3, 1; Philo, quod deus immut. § 25 at the end; leg. ad Gaium § 43); Ἀντίοχον τόν Ἐπιφανῆ χρηματίζοντα, Diodorus in Müller's fragment vol. ii, p. 17, no. 21:4; Ἰάκωβον τόν χρηματισαντα ἀδελφόν τοῦ κυρίου, Acta Philippi at the beginning, p. 75; Tdf. edition; Ἰακώβου ... ὅν καί ἀδελφόν τοῦ Χριστοῦ χρηματίσαι οἱ Θειοι λόγοι περιέχουσιν, Eus. h. e. 7, 19; (cf. Sophocles' Lexicon, under the word, 2)).

Again, I underlined the parts that the Insight quotes from. But notice how Thayer places Acts 11:26 under definition "3."

Thomas Scott seems to believe that the calling in Acts 11:26 was "by divine providence." His Volume V can be downloaded here (see page 716 of the PDF for the actual quote. (The Insight book says the source is from "Vol III." But this appears to be a typo. The quote is from Volume V.) Scott's premise for saying the name was "by divine revelation" is incorrect. He says:

"It came to pass that they" (Paul and Barnabas) " called the disciples Christians." indisputably the natural construction of the verse."

Compare the Acts 11:26 at BibleHub (here). And the Greek of the text here. There is nothing in the verse that suggests that "Paul and Barnabas" were the ones who gave this name. And here is a page of various commentaries on this verse.

Here is the entire context of the Adam Clarke quotation:

And the disciples were called Christians first at Antioch - It is evident they had the name Christians from Christ their master; as the Platonists and Pythagoreans had their name from their masters, Plato and Pythagoras. Now, as these had their name from those great masters because they attended their teaching, and credited their doctrines, so the disciples were called Christians because they took Christ for their teacher, crediting his doctrines, and following the rule of life laid down by him. It has been a question, by whom was this name given to the disciples? Some think they assumed it; others, that the inhabitants of Antioch gave it to them; and others, that it was given by Saul and Barnabas. This later opinion is favored by the Codex Bezae, which reads the 25th and 26th verses thus: And hearing that Saul was at Tarsus, he departed, seeking for him; and having found him, he besought him to come to Antioch; who, when they were come, assembled with the Church a whole year, and instructed a great number; and there they first called the disciples at Antioch Christians.

The word χρηματισαι in our common text, which we translate were called, signifies in the New Testament, to appoint, warn, or nominate, by Divine direction. In this sense, the word is used, Mat_2:12; Luk_2:26; and in the preceding chapter of this book, Act_10:22. If, therefore, the name was given by Divine appointment, it as most likely that Saul and Barnabas were directed to give it; and that, therefore, the name Christian is from God, as well as that grace and holiness which are so essentially required and implied in the character. Before this time. the Jewish converts were simply called, among themselves, disciples, i.e. scholars; believers, saints, the Church, or assembly; and, by their enemies, Nazarenes, Galileans, the men of this way or sect; and perhaps lay other names which are not come down to us. They considered themselves as one family; and hence the appellation of brethren was frequent among them. It was the design of God to make all who believed of one heart and one soul, that they might consider him as their Father, and live and love like children of the same household. A Christian, therefore, is the highest character which any human being can bear upon earth; and to receive it from God, as those appear to have done - how glorious the title! It is however worthy of remark that this name occurs in only three places in the New Testament: here, and in Act_26:28, and in 1Pe_4:16.

The underlined portions are what the Insight book quotes. Of note is that Clarke makes his statement tentative, "If . . ." And he also ends his discussion saying, "It is however worthy of remark that this name occurs in only three places in the New Testament: here, and in Act_26:28, and in 1Pe_4:16." In other words, "If" the name "Christian" was God-given, then, it is more than a little curious that Jesus' disciples at that time didn't use it.

It is also noteworthy that the Insight book only quotes from relatively old references. I can't find any more modern references that give any credence to the idea that the verb "were called" in Acts 11:26 should include "by divine providence." Even so, there are numerous older references that understand the verb "were called" in Acts 11:26 as something the surrounding populace did. See this post for an additional sampling.

Bobcat

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

This reminds me when I changes my religion on my Facebook profile to "Christian" over Jehovah's Witness.

A brother told me that when he hovers over the word "Christian" on my profile, it appears an image with a cross.

I told him I could not find on facebook a page named "Christian" that had the tower as it's image, so I chose the page named "Christian" that appeared first and had most likes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit