You shouldn't find that funny.

by HintOfLime 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I've tried to generally let go of my JW childhood - ultimately they are a sad people, governed by sad old men, following the poor advice of long-dead and even sadder men, congragating in sad pithy buildings. Tonight however, I've been reminded of something.

Growing up as a jw, I ended up seeing several movies in theaters with other witnesses - sometimes just with my friends, but often enough in larger groups that included the more... indoctrinated... variety. It seemed to me, that whenever the group included more than my immediate friends, there was almost always that one person that managed to find something offensive about every movie. Even then, I asked myself - why do they even GO to these movies, other than to show off how righteous they are?

My pioneer-partner shared my sense of humor - weird, off-the-wall movies that weren't quite comedy - you don't really laugh at them, but somehow they are fun - The Burbs, Men at Work, Joe vs. the Volcano, Mystery Men... that sort of off-the-wall stuff. Unfortunately, I distinctly remember seeing Mystery Men with one of the larger groups, including one of the "I'm better than everyone else (but I still go see every movie)" idiots, and afterward we all discussed the movie of course at our favorite break-time location.

Initially everyone liked the movie. But then... Ms. no-humor, perfect-pioneer chirped in with her... bullshit (sorry, but it is bullshit. There's no non-swearing word to describe it). Soon enough, everyone was agreeing that the movie wasn't very good, and I just kinda clammed up about my opinion like a souless drone. Better not to offend anyone, afterall.

Mystery Men. Freaking Mystery Men. A fun, harmless, weird, and lighthearted silly movie. Designed by SATAN TO DESTROY YOUR FAITH. It had FLYING SKULLS!!!! (I can't even remeber entirely what all the problems with it were. It was that "BS" word, times a million.)

Anyway...

Has anybody else shared this experience? Where you let slip a laugh at a silly (but very inappropriate) joke, or express an opinion on a movie... so that other witnesses nearby GLARE at you (that's a SEX JOKE. You NEVER laugh at SEX jokes, SEX is bad.), or "correct" your opinion afterwards? Have you seen the superfine witnesses that tag along to see every movie, but manage to find the SATAN in every one?

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

We were watching the other day a biblical movie based on exodus of israelites from Egypt with other witnesses, and Mr. Right (Yes they are everywhere...) was very disapointed, becouse the quotations of Moses were not exactly from the Bible, they were slightly different.... And also the israelites were sitting during their last home meal befor exodus, while according to the Bible the were standing. Yes he was very disapointed ...

Idiots are everywhere...

Albert

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    We were watching the other day a biblical movie based on exodus of israelites from Egypt with other witnesses, and Mr. Right (Yes they are everywhere...) was very disapointed, becouse the quotations of Moses were not exactly from the Bible

Wow. It's interesting you even saw such a movie.

As a kid, I remember the release of "The Prince of Egypt" - an animated film about Moses - which we weren't allowed to see, since it wasn't produced by the Watchtower Society. Oddly enough, while on the 'fringe' my ex-wife and I saw it on TV, and neither of us could see what the big deal was about it. It followed the material closely enough...

I can only guess that it didn't say "JEHOVAH", or reference the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" enough to earn the Watchtower Seal of Approval.

- Lime

PS: I think our MonsterId's are cousins or something.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Ugh, I hated that "conform your conscience to the weakest link's conscience" rule. It made fearful people out of myself and friends. But I do remember when I stopped caring about that. I was giving a ride to a friend in my car, and I happened to let my above average sound system bump a little near the KH.

"You should probably turn that down, Andrew, because *so-and-so* is standing right there outside the hall, and she'll be offended."

"So?" I said. "Let her be offended. I don't care."

He didn't say anything to me after that point. I wonder if he really started treating me differently after that point. Maybe he did. I don't know. But it felt good not to be restrained.

In fact, I'm sure it was all building a frightening case to him. I came in late to a service meeting one time, eating a banana. The same friend was shocked--SHOCKED--that I had the audacity to do that. Mind you, I didn't flippantly toss the peel on the floor or anything. I just didn't feel like finishing the banana in the car. So what? I'm eating. And if my eating is more interesting than the field service meeting, whose fault is that?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Or how about the initial group discussion about which movie to see? My god, the self-righteousness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit