Bribery JW Style

by Sam Beli 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

This is a true story of bribery by a JW business man who was a baptized witness. He was a regular publisher at the time, but he missed many meetings because of his business needs and because he was not “lettered.” He struggled to read and therefore to participate in the TMS, etc. His wife was a zealous JW who frequently “vacation pioneered.” – You can see that this was a long time ago.

Though limited in formal education he was very sharp in business and he and his family lived well (the wife never had to work, his business activities funded her pioneering). His work was seasonal and in the “off” season they would vacation in the tropics.

During one “off’ season period I was asked to handle his mail and I was instructed to open his mail from a certain business entity because he was expecting to have a contract issued to him for a job on which he had bid. When it arrived I was to call him. He did not count on what actually happened with his mail:

The expected contract never came, but several envelopes did come from that company and I opened them as instructed, in anticipation of the contract being in one of them. Instead, what three or four of these envelopes did contain was a note from each of several executives of this company along with cash – large bills in $50 or $100 denominations – I don’t remember now - it has been many years ago now. They were returning his money to him and saying that they found no reason to accept the money; they were appropriately paid by their employer or words to that effect

Why the cash? He had sent the money to them “thanking them for their help and cooperation over the past year. The money apparently was sent in December, a time when many “worldly” companies pass out bonuses, etc. He thought he could buy his way into next year’s contract!

So, where was the righteousness? Was it with the JW who sent what amounted to bribes or with the “worldly” officials who returned the money?

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Does anyone find this story amazing or disappointing? Is it business as usual for JWs? Or do you just plain not believe this incident occurred?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I believe it.

I know of a JW, still very active, who is willing to do or say anything to make a buck. Her argument is that she must take care of herself and if someone is willing to be fleeced, so be it.

She sees nothing wrong in taking gifts (from worldies), shoplifting, or lying on her taxes. She even had surgery done in a county hospital, by stating she was destitute. She has insurance and did not want her self-employed premium to go up.

I am very disappointed in this.

"I used to be Snow White, then I drifted." Mae West

• LDH
    LDH

No Sam, I beleive you. It's just that it didn't surprise me. I mean, why would you THINK a JW would know how to properly network?

They are taught to avoid worldly people like the plague. So instead of inviting someone out to a business lunch and paying for it or taking someone out for a round of golf, this bozo sends cash. [8>]

The execs probably thought he was a corporate spy, because why would anyone else be so stupid as to send cash?

The funny part is, since he sent it via US MAIL, it could be argued that he was attempting to bribe officials, which could potentially make it a punishable offense. You are not allowed to use the USMAIL for criminal activity. Which is why FEDEX and AIRBORNE have gotten so big so fast. They are private companies, and I could send you a bribe via FedEx all day and there's not a damn thing you could do about it, LOL.

No Sam, like I said. It didn't surprise me one bit.

Lisa

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Sam,I`ve seen more dirty deeds by dubs than you can imagine.And thats a fact Jack.Your right for many of them it is business as usual.I am rarely suprised,I was raised a dub,I`ve seen alot...OUTLAW

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,

This sounds harsh and even hard to believe, but I saw and heard) first-hand evidence at the World Headquarters that ``fleecing the world'' is ingrained in at least a certain segment of JW culture.

Believe it or not, in his comment at the morning breakfast dsicussion of the text, one old-timer pointed out that when the Israelites departed from Egypt, they carried the treasures of Egypt with them through the Red Sea. His meaning was self-evident.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit