"Behold, I am coming soon".

by Doug Mason 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

At its opening and at its end, the book of Revelation addresses its message to seven specific churches in a well-defined region of Asia:

Opening : “To the seven churches in the province of Asia.” (Rev. 1:4, all citations are from the NIV)

Closing : “This testimony for the churches .” (Rev. 22:16)

In those two contexts, those churches are repeatedly advised that the contents of Revelation showed what was about to befall them, and it also informs them that Jesus would be coming soon.

At the opening :

“To show his servants what must soon take place.” (Rev. 1:1)

“Because the time is near . ” (Rev. 1:3)

“Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you . ” (Rev. 2:16)

“I am coming soon . ” (Rev. 3:11)

At the closing :

“To show his servants the things that must soon take place .” (Rev. 22:6)

“Behold, I am coming soon !” (Rev. 22:7)

“Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, because the time is near .” (Rev. 22:10)

“Behold, I am coming soon ! ” (Rev. 22:12)

“ ‘Yes, I am coming soon .’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. ” (Rev. 22:20)

In fact, the churches were told that Jesus’ coming would take place so soon that those who pierced him would still be alive to see him come:

“Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him” (Rev. 1:7)

Doug

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Doug,

In fact, the churches were told that Jesus’ coming would take place so soon that those who pierced him would still be alive to see him come.

Of course, they might have assumed Jesus might return in their lifetime but they could have been wrong.

“Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him” (Rev. 1:7)

Of course, we now know better, those that pierced Him are long dead and will be resurrected just like every other dead person when they see Him.

Acts 24:15 (New International Version)

15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

Philippians 2:10-11 (New International Version)

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Allegories, symbolisms, metaphors, hyperboles are designed to teach lessons, Jewish literature from this era is filled with examples. Once you take a Literalists view you quickly run into trouble because the story was never constructed to be taken in that manner in the first place.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

"Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him” (Rev. 1:7)

Of course, we now know better, those that pierced Him are long dead and will be resurrected just like every other dead person when they see Him.

Chalam,

It makes no difference if those that pierced Him are long dead. He is after all the resurrection and the life and the restoration of their life at that time is the point of our Lord's message. So there really is nothing wrong with the verse and the fact that they died does not contradict this prophetic message.

Joseph

• alanv
    alanv

I always had a problem with the society quoting the 1000 years is as one day to God. The whole of the Greek scriptures gives the impression that everything Jesus spoke about would happen very soon.

Common sense should tells us that he was not talking about 2000 years in the future. If that means what he said did not take place then so be it!

• Chalam
    Chalam

So there really is nothing wrong with the verse and the fact that they died does not contradict this prophetic message.

Joseph

I agree, that was the point I was making too :)

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit