WT trivia you won't hear at the KH.........(yeah, sort of borrowed from Blondie)

by dissed 5 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

What group taught the following as undeniable fact, that would absolutely come true, then denied they ever said it, when it didn't happen?

Beth-Sarim was a mansion built in San Diego, California by this group. They claimed it was to house the Faithful from Hebrews 11, who would be brought back to life in 1925 to rule the world. While waiting for this event to happen, the groups leader decided to live in the mansion in luxury until they came back or he died, whichever came first.

A. Aliens from outerspace who later were killed in a crash in Roswell, New Mexico

B. Followers of Timothy Leary remembering a particular trip they took on LSD one time.

C. This is absolutely not true. Not even the National Enquirer could make this up.

D. The WT under the leadership of Rutherford. (see page 88, Millions Now Living Will Never Die)

• shamus100
    shamus100

Dissed,

This could be one of those all-time classic threads. I'm not too big on the history and all it's bizzare details, so I'll let those add on to this.

Most would answer C, but sadly the answer is D.

• dissed
    dissed

I thought Shamus most would have picked A. Aliens from outerspace, because it was that bizarre

Check that: Alien monkeys from outerspace

• Gayle
    Gayle

How embarrassing and bazaar this was! Shows how self-serving Rutherford (their GB of that time) was and (JW) people were so accepting and supporting of his high cost of living, and lifestyle. It's a sample of so many embarrassing things and doctrines that the GB has always gotten a way with.

• dissed
    dissed

Gayle, it was truly bizarre and you can see why the GB would lie and say it never happened.

So what's worse? Saying the holy spirit led them to this conclusion or lying to cover it up?

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I almost wet myself when I first read about Beth-Sarim.

What a nut job.....and to think we were taught that he was some great chosen one in 1919 and fulfilled prophecy in Revelation..

Of course, he wrote the book.......hahah

I still see that creepy picture of him and the other "Brothers" who were arrested for sedition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit