Blood Card

by bazackward 4 Replies latest jw friends

• bazackward
    bazackward

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is contained in a "blood card?" I am sure it has something to do with the whole not accepting blood policy. Apparently there are two names with contact numbers on it. What is the significance of the order in which they're placed on the card?

My grandma is placing my non-JW mother as the "first contact" on her new "blood card" and received in shepherding call. During this shepherding call, she mentioned that she may just have to keep a secret and not tell my JW aunt about it. Is this some kind of high drama scenario playing out while I'm totally ignorant to its significance? lol Is there anything my non-JW mother should know?

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

I was never given a blood card when I was baptized so I couldn't tell you.

• teel
    teel

In this topic you have scans of the blood card and information on how to fill it out: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/medical/104206/1/Finally-got-scans-of-the-new-blood-card

The "first contact" must be a loyal JW, because he/she will be the one who will force the doctor's hand not to give blood. That is the reason of the sheperding call.

Your non-JW mother should know that it's expected of her to let her mother die. However if your grandma put a non-JW there, it might be because deep inside she hopes in an emergency case the non-JW will allow the blood transfusion.

• bazackward
    bazackward

Thanks for that information! Yeah I guess she got into trouble for putting my mom as the primary contact, but my grandma is very clear that she wants my mom to do whatever the elders want regarding blood. My aunt is a loyal JW (my grandma's only other child) but kind of "psychologically challenged" so my grandma did not want her to administer her living will -- hence my mom as the primary contact on the blood card.

At lunch, my grandma did mention that she told the elder she might have to keep a secret and not tell my JW aunt that she is no longer the primary contact on the blood card. Is "keeping a secret" something evil with JWs? (As a side note, I'm sure it was my aunt that sent "the brothers" to talk some sense into my grandma.)

• nugget
    nugget

Its not a heinous crime it is family politics. Simply put your grandmother does not want to explain to your aunt why she is not the primary contact and why she has chosen a non JW in preference to her. She is hoping that she never has to explain this because your Aunt is likely to feel snubbed and rejected and will behave badly. It will be embarassing for all concerned and best avoided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit